Questions? We've got answers.


What do I need to apply as a transfer student?
For admission consideration transfer candidates should have:

·         a minimum of 23 transferable academic semester units or 34.5 transferable academic quarter units

·         typically, to be a viable candidate, students should have a 2.5 or higher GPA

·         1 year each of high school equivalent algebra I, geometry, and algebra II, with a grade of C or better prior to enrolling

Students who have fewer than the minimum number of units may be eligible for admission if they were eligible out of high school.  In this case we will need SAT or ACT test scores.

What are your application deadlines?
Fall Term - January 15, 2015 (priority, for financial aid consideration) and July 1, 2015 (regular)
Spring Term - January 1, 2015

Do you have articulation agreements?
We currently have general education articulation agreements with 34 California Community Colleges.

Are SAT/ACT scores required for admission?
If you have completed at least 23 transferable academic semester units at time of application, you do not need to submit test scores as part of the admissions process.

What is the average grade point average for incoming transfers?
For the class entering in fall 2013, the average grade point average for transfer students was a 3.3.
Are high school transcripts required for admission?
All students must submit official final high school transcripts to verify completion of algebra 1, geometry and algebra 2.  If you have taken these courses in college, then we will not need your high school transcript.

What college and/or university transcripts are required for admission?
Official copies of all transcripts from colleges and/or universities attended by the student are required for admission, whether the student completed the term(s) or not.

How will my courses be evaluated for admission to Saint Mary's?
All transferable academic coursework is considered in determining eligibility for admission. When courses are repeated, only the most recent grade will be computed into the grade point average in determining the minimum admission standard.


How will my courses transfer to Saint Mary's?
Courses that are transferable to the University of California (UC) system from California Community colleges or other accredited colleges or universities, with completion of letter marks (rather than, Pass, Satisfactory, or Credit) will be applied for advanced standing credit toward graduation. Upon transfer, only courses with grades of C- and above are acceptable for advanced standing toward graduation. Courses in remedial subjects, vocational fields, secondary school mathematics, and non-academic areas are not acceptable for transfer credit to Saint Mary's.

Is there a maximum number of units I can transfer into Saint Mary's?
The maximum number of lower division units, which are transferable to Saint Mary's from any college, is 64 semester units (95 quarter units). If you are enrolled in a 4-year college, upper division units (beyond the 64 lower division) will be evaluated and may be accepted for credit toward graduation.

Are any of your majors impacted?

What is the average class size of all traditional undergraduate courses?
21 students

What is the traditional student-to-faculty ratio?
13 to 1

What are the most popular majors among undergraduates?
Business Administration, Communication, Psychology, Kinesiology and Liberal & Civic Studies.

Residence & Community Life

Is on-campus housing guaranteed?
Transfer students are guaranteed housing if entering in the fall term, as long as the commitment deposit is submitted by May 1st and Housing License is submitted by July 1st.  Students entering in the spring term who wish to have housing will be placed on a waiting list.

Do I have to be Catholic to attend Saint Mary's?
No. 54% of our students identify themselves as Catholics, while many choose to pursue faiths of other denominations.

Financial Aid

What percentage of your student body receives financial aid?
75% of our undergraduates receive financial aid from a variety of sources. Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Perkins Loans, and Federal Stafford Student Loans are often part of an applicant's financial aid package.

How do I apply for financial aid?
Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  There is no fee associated with the FAFSA.  California residents who wish to apply for Cal Grants A and/or B must also ask their current college to fill out the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form.

When is the financial aid deadline?
The priority deadline for all financial aid forms is February 15th, 2015.  Transfer students wanting priority financial aid consideration should get their admission application and all supplemental documents in by January 15.