College Human Resources is responsible for producing the Staff Handbook. To request a revision of any content of this Handbook, or to propose new material please submit your comments to the Questions, Comments, Suggestions? page.
Who Approves the Staff Handbook Contents?
The College officer (also known as the “owner”) primarily responsible for a specific policy area formally approves Staff Handbook content relating to that area and brings any policy changes to the editor’s attention. The owner who approves a policy is listed at the top of the applicable Section. In general, primary responsibility is assigned as follows:
- Section 1: Employment Policies – Assistant Vice President of Human Resources
- Section 2: Employee Conduct – Director of Employee Relations & Compensation
- Section 3: Working at Saint Mary’s College – Assistant Vice President of Human Resources
- Section 4: Recruitment & Employment – Director of Faculty and Staff Recruitment
- Section 5: Development, Training & Performance Feedback – Director of Learning & Organizational Effectiveness
- Section 6: Communication & Problem Solving – Director of Employee Relations & Compensation
- Section 7: Compensation – Director of Employee Relations & Compensation
- Section 8: Benefits – Director of Benefits
- Section 9: Safety, Health & Environmental Services – Assistant VP of Human Resources
- Section 10: End of Employment – Director of Benefits
- Append A: Acknowledgment of Receipt of Staff Handbook – Assistant VP of Human Resources
- Append B: Technology Use Policy – Chief Technology Officer
Guidelines for Requesting a Change
Types of Changes
There are two types of changes that can be made to Staff Handbook:
- Policy – Any change to policy or change that affects how the policy is administered or interpreted.
- Housekeeping – These can include a clarification to existing policy, changes in contact information, phone numbers, URLs or addresses.
How to get changes into the Staff Handbook
A change to an existing Handbook section may be requested by the person who has approval authority for the contents (also known as the “owner”), or that person’s designee. Find the title of the authority/owner in the previous section “Who Approves the Staff Handbook Contents?” To request a revision of any content of this Handbook, or to propose new material please submit your comments at http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/node/35371.
How Can I Get Updated Versions of the Staff Handbook?
You will find the most recent version of the Handbook on the Human Resources webpage. Review these sources to determine if there have been updates to it, before relying on any particular section. In addition, the College may announce, from time to time, new policies or procedures via email, and the HR site also provides additional operational details and forms related to certain Handbook sections.
If you have questions about any of the information contained in this Handbook, including if a section you are relying on is the most current one, please contact Human Resources (x4212), as you are presumed to have notice of and to understand its contents.