Answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions about Tuition and Fees.

What is an eCheck?

An eCheck or electronic check is an electronic version of a paper check and may be used by U.S. bank account holders with existing checking and/or savings accounts to make a payment online. It is a convenient, safe and secure method of payment. eChecks may be made from personal checking or savings accounts. Payments from brokerage accounts may not be processed online.

To use an eCheck, you will need your personal account information, including your bank account number and ABA routing number, which is available on your personal check. Company checks and brokerage accounts cannot be used as eCheck transactions. For savings account holders, contact your bank directly for your ABA routing number. eCheck payments are accepted online at no additional charge through QuikPay by Nelnet Business Solutions.

Does SMC accept credit cards for payment?

No. Credit cards are no longer accepted as of October 15, 2010.

When will I receive a tuition bill and when is it due?

Bills are sent electronically through email notification to your Saint Mary's email account using SMC's online billing and payment system. Email is the College's primary method of communication. Accounts with returned or undelivered email will be assessed a fee. It is the student's responsibility to manage and maintain his/her SMC email account as part of his/her commitment for success at Saint Mary's College.

Fall semester bills are sent to registered undergraduate students in early July and payment is due in early August.

Spring semester bills are sent to registered undergraduate students in early December and payment is due in early January.

Additional bills are sent throughout the year based on the status of your account.

Graduate, professional and non-traditional students have tuition due by the 15th of the month.

My bill shows pending aid. What does this mean?

Pending aid is the amount of financial aid offered for a specific term. This aid can be applied to the student's tuition account, however it has not yet been disbursed. For this reason, it shows as pending aid.  Financial aid will not disburse until all required documents have been received and approved and the student's enrollment status meets all requirements. Loan fees of 1.073% will be deducted from Federal Direct Loan proceeds (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and 4.292% will be deducted from Direct Parent PLUS from the awarded amount.

 ***Federal work study and private scholarships will NOT be reflected as pending aid.

How can I view my bill and make a payment?

  • To view your bill and make a payment go to GaelXPress.
  • Click the Log In button and enter your User ID and Password
  • Click Submit
  • Click on Current Students
  • Under Bill Payment and Refunds, select View My Bill/Make a Payment
  • Choose from the left menu options to view account status, view current statement, make payment, etc.

How can I set up an Authorized payer?

Follow the above steps. Once you reach the menu options:

  • Click Authorize Payers
  • Click Add New
  • Enter Authorized Payer name, email, create a login name, password and confirm the password.
  • Click Add

What is the link for parents and other authorized payers who have obtained the login information from their student?

The link is

Can I pay my account balance by mail?

Yes. You can send a check, money order or certified check made payable to "Saint Mary's College of California" to: Business Office, 1928 St. Mary's Road, PMB 4600, Moraga, CA 94575. Please print the PDF version of your bill and return the bottom portion with your remittance. Make sure to write your student account number and/or full name on the check.


Can I pay my account balance in person?

Yes. You can pay in person at the Business Office. Our hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The office closes at 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon during the summer months. Please note: We do not accept debit cards or credit card payments.

Why am I being charged for medical insurance if I have my own?

To ensure that all underraduate students have health insurance coverage, including basic sickness and accident insurance, the College has a mandatory health insurance requirement. All full-time undergraduate students are required to have health insurance coverage. This means, full-time undergraduate students are automatically enrolled and billed for the College’s provided plan.

If you have comparable coverage of your own, you must ACTIVELY file a waiver for the Saint Mary's Student Health Plan every year by going to  Complete the questions and waive coverage.  Be sure to save your email confirmation for your records. Once you have completed the waiver Saint Mary's will credit your account for the premium. If you believe you have submitted a waiver and are still being charged, please provide printed proof of your waiver to the Business Office or by calling (925) 631-4209. The waiver must be completed by SEPT. 9, 2015 for the 2015-16 Academic Year.

PLEASE NOTE: The waiver opportunity will shut down on September 9, 2015. If you have not completed the waiver by September 9th, you will be insured for the full academic year with no other chance to waive. The estimated cost of the annual medical insurance policy is not yet determined.  The entire amount will be billed to your student account. A charge of half the premium will be on your fall bill and a charge of the remaining half will be on your spring bill. Attention: International students and U.S. citizens whose primary residence is abroad will NOT be able to waive the school insurance. Mandatory enrollment is required if your permanent address is abroad.

Why do I have a Late Registration fee?

Students who do not register during the open registration period(s) are subject to a late registration fee.  For undergraduates, the fee is $175 per semester.  For graduate/professional students, the fee may vary, however, it is generally $100 per term for graduate/professional students.

Is there a payment plan available for enrolled students?

Yes, traditional undergraduate students who are registered full-time at Saint Mary's may enroll in a 10-month interest free payment plan by going to This plan is offered through our third party vendor, Tuition Management Systems. The plan runs from June through March and the enrollment fee is $63. There is also a nine month payment plan available starting July and ending in March. The enrollment fee remains at $63.

Graduate and professional students may enroll in our in-house 3 month payment plan at $25 per term (2-months for the summer term only). A signed payment contract must be submitted to the Business Office each term. Please call (925) 631-4209 to receive the contract or for more information regarding the 3-month payment plan.


I have a credit on my account. Why haven't I received a refund? Possible reasons for not receiving your refund are:

  • Refunds are not processed until the term begins. No refunds will be released prior to the start of your term.
  • A refund cannot be processed until there is a credit balance on your account.
  • There is a two-week holding period for credits that result from an overpayment from a check or eCheck of any kind.
  • Refunds are not issued for students with monthly payment plans (TMS or graduate/professional plans) until the plan is paid in full.
  • Credits resulting from Federal Parent Plus Loans are issued to the parent borrower who took out the loan unless the parent has authorized the refund to go to the student.
  • Credits resulting from third-party payments will be issued back to the organization who made the payment.
  • A refund cannot be processed if you set up eReimbursement but the bank numbers you entered are invalid.

Where can I complete my Federal Perkins Loan entrance counseling?

New Perkins Loan borrowers are required, by law, to complete an entrance counseling course.  You may do so by going to iGrad at  scroll to the footer of the page and click on 'Loan Entrance Counselor'  Sign Up by entering your First Name, Last Name, Email address (this will be your username) and create a password.  SMC will receive confirmation of your completion.

Maps & Directories

Mailing Address

Saint Mary's College of California
1928 Saint Mary's Road
Moraga, CA 94575
(925) 631-4000
Google Map | Campus Map | PO Boxes