The following courses are required for students pursuing a Biology Degree.
- Mathematics 27-28 ( or equivalent, e.g. Math 38);
- Chemistry 8, 9 (lab), 10, 11 (lab);
- Physics 10, 11, 20 (lab), 21 (lab), or Physics 1, 2 (lab), 3, 4 (lab); and
- Biology 1, 1L , 2, 2L.
- Chemistry 104, 105 (lab), 125 (lab), 106 and 107 (lab)
The Biology major must include seven upper division biology courses, at least five of which must include a laboratory component. In order to develop a broad background and to experience major areas of study within the disciplines, biology majors are required to take at least one course from Groups II, III and IV. The remainder of the seven required may come form any group.
- Group I Genetics and Ecology: Biology 105, 125;
- Group II Organismal: Biology 100, 102, 110, 113, 122, 127, 128, 144, 146;
- Group III Cellular/Molecular: Biology 130, 132, 135, 137, 139;
- Group IV Evolution and Ecology: Biology 113, 115, 120, 142, 152; or
- Group V Electives: Biology 116, 119, 192, 193, 194
The Biology/Psychology Split Major
Biology/Psychology split majors have ths same requirements as Biology majors with the addition of Psychology 1 and 2.
Students in other split majors must determine their lower division requirements with the help of their advisor and the approval of the appropriate department chairs. All split majors with biology as the predominant area must be arranged by petition, and must have a clear emphasis and a selection of inter-related courses. All split major students must determine their upper division requirements with the help of their advisor and the approval of the appropriate department chairs.