Giving you the basic foundation which can be applied anywhere, everywhere.
Students must complete the “Common Business Core” plus one of six programs – General Business or one of the following concentrations: Marketing, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Global Business or Digital Media.
The concentrations are designed for students motivated to explore critical business disciplines in greater depth, focus, and intensity for preparation for careers or graduate education in the field of the concentration. Students may choose to complete more than one concentration; however, doing so will require additional time beyond the usual four years.
Lower Division (6 Courses)
The following six courses must be completed by the end of the sophomore year, unless a waiver has been obtained from the Business Administration Program Director or, in the case of BusAd 10, the student is a transfer entering as a junior.
- BusAd 10 Global Perspectives in Business and Society**
- BusAd 40 Statistics
- Acct. 1 Financial Accounting
- Acct. 2 Managerial Accounting
- Econ. 3 Principles of Micro-Economics
- Econ. 4 Principles of Macro-Economics
** This course is waived for transfer students entering Saint Mary’s after their sophomore year.
Upper Division (7 Courses)
- BusAd 123 Financial Management
- BusAd 124 Marketing
- BusAd 127 Business Communication
- BusAd 131 Managing and Leading in Organizations (formerly Organization Theory)
- BusAd 132 Global Operations Management (formerly Operations Management)
- BusAd 140 Strategic Management
- BusAd 181 Business Ethics and Social Responsibility (formerly Ethical, Social, Political Issues in Business)
Important notes on general education/core requirements:
- For students who entered Saint Mary’s prior to Fall 2012, Economics 3 and 4 fulfill the ”Social Sciences" General Education requirement—Area C (two courses)
- Starting in Fall 2012, Economics 3 and 4 fulfill the "Social, Cultural, and Historical Understanding" Core Curriculum requirement (two courses).
Important note on mathematics:
Math is a general education core requirement. The Business Department highly recommends that students complete this requirement before taking BusAd 40, Statistics; Accounting 2, Managerial Accounting; and Economics 4, Macroeconomics, and not later than the end of the sophomore year. This subject-area will provide needed analytical tools for success in business courses and is a pre-requisite for most upper-division BusAd courses. The Department of Mathematics does not permit students to satisfy the Math requirement online. Seniors will not be admitted into Math 3, Finite Math.
General Business Major (No Concentration):
Two Required Courses:
Two Electives (from the following choices):
- BusAd 110 Entrepreneurship
- BusAd 111 New Venture Financing
- BusAd 112 Small Business Management
- BusAd 113 Business in the Digital Age
- BusAd 121 Advanced Legal Topics
- BusAd 126 Applied Marketing Research (formerly Advanced Marketing)
- BusAd 128 Consumer Behavior
- BusAd 137 Quantitative Methods
- BusAd 175 Management Information Systems
- Econ. 105 Micro-Economic Theory
- Econ. 106 Macro-Economic Theory
- Econ. 175 Multinational Enterprises (Econ 105 is an additional prerequisite) or Econ. 170 Industrial Organizations
- Econ. 130 Money, Finance, and Economic Crises (Econ106 is an additional prerequisite) or Econ. 136 Investments