The Board exists to protect from harm the subjects involved in research conducted by faculty, students or staff at SMC. The Board also intends to protect from harm faculty, student or staff researchers and the College itself.
The Board has six regular members –
- One member from the School of Liberal Arts
- Two members from the School of Science – one from the Biological Sciences, one from Psychology
- Two members from the School of Education
- One member external to SMC
-- and one ex-officio member, the Dean for Academic Development.
The Review Process:
- The process begins by the researcher submitting all of the data needed to make a responsible judgment about a research project;
- the members of the Board then examine the data through the multiple perspectives of several Board members, and in this process, identify any changes or additions needed to satisfy the review criteria;
- and, when all of the required data are in hand, the Board reaches a consensual decision that the data demonstrate that risks of harm are minimal or the benefits promised by the research clearly outweigh the risks.