Saint Mary’s is a small school located in a small town. But we just happen to be across the Bay from one of the most dynamic and exciting cities in the world.
A World Class City Nearby
At Saint Mary's you’ll definitely see your peers at the dining hall and on the quad, but you never know — you might run into your classmates at Giants games, farmers’ markets or Mission District art galleries. Jump in a car (or on the BART) and in half an hour you’ll be exploring San Francisco. Suddenly Saint Mary's doesn’t seem so small.
And It's More Than Just San Francisco
Just as there’s more to Saint Mary's than Moraga, there’s more to the Bay Area than San Francisco. Just on the other side of the Caldecott Tunnel are Oakland and Berkeley, where you’ll find fantastic parks, restaurants, shops and cultural experiences. And just up the road from us are Walnut Creek and Concord — places that aren’t necessarily urban hotspots but have their own considerable charms, plus plenty of eating and shopping options.
28 Things to Do in the Bay Area
The College moved from Oakland to Moraga in 1928, which is where the number 28 comes from. As you finish each activity you can get a stamp on your “Beyond Saint Mary’s” card (available in the Student Involvement and Leadership office) by providing a receipt, ticket stub, or photo as proof of your participation. You’ll be invited to an end-of-year celebration and become eligible for prizes. Best of all, you’ll discover the Bay Area and what it has to offer.
28 Things to Do:
1. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
2. Tour Alcatraz
3. Eat a deep-dish pizza at Zachary’s Pizza
7. Walk or bike the Reservoir Trail in Lafayette
9. Visit Oakland’s Tilden Park for great views, steam trains, Merry Go-Rounds and more...
10. Take a Cable Car ride in San Francisco
11. Attend a Saint Mary’s Student Retreat
13. Eat breakfast at Millie’s (Lafayette)
14. Go to Berkeley and experience a new cuisine
16. Take a trip to Yosemite National Park
17. Volunteer at St. Anthony, St. Boniface or DeMarillac Schools with CILSA
18. Enjoy a cup of coffee and free WiFi at La Scala (Walnut Creek)
20. Cheer on the Gaels at a game
21. Go hiking on Mount Diablo
23. Get fresh produce at a local farmers market
25. Go on a RecSports Ski Trip
26. Hold a bonfire on Ocean Beach (San Francisco)
27. Ride your bike in Golden Gate Park
28. Participate in a cultural power trip with Delphine Intercultural Center