Students pursuing the major in Communication must complete the required lower and upper division courses as set forth below.
Communication majors take seven required courses and four upper division electives. Two of the electives must be upper division application courses (denoted by * on the course descriptions page). Majors must also participate in a senior research seminar and write a senior thesis. A total of 11 department courses are required for graduation.
- Communication 2: Communication and Social Understanding
- Communication 3: Communication Inquiry
- Communication 10: Argument and Advocacy
- Communication 100: Communication Theory
- Communication 110: Quantitative Methods
- Communication 111: Qualitative Methods
- Communication 196: Senior Capstone
Upper Division Electives
Four upper division electives must be taken from one or more of the following groups:
- Rhetoric and Culture: Communication 105, 106, 109, 113 and 147;
- Media Studies: Communication 125, 132, 133, 143, 144, 158; and
- Public Communication: Communication 107, 112, 116, 117, 118, 122, 123, 161, 170.