The History faculty is a distinguished crew.
- Ph.D. History, University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- M.A. History, University of California, Berkeley, 1992
- B.A. Latin American Studies, Princeton, 1982
- Professor - St. Mary's College (1998 - Present)
- Distinguished Professor Award, 2013-2014 - Mexican Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Professor of the Year, 2013-2014 - Saint Mary's College of California (May 2012)
- Elinor Melville Book Prize - Conference on Latin American History (January 2008)
Best Book on Latin American Environmental History, "The Ecology of Oil"
- Bryce Wood Book Award - Latin American Studies Association (September 2007)
Outstanding Book on Latin America in the Social Sciences and the Humanities, "The Ecology of Oil"
- Santiago, Myrna. 2013. "Extracting Histories: Mining, Workers, and Environment". RCC Perspectives 2013 (7): 81-88.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2013. "Cocaine in United States History". In Alcohol and Drugs in North America: A Historical Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2012. "Culture Clash: Foreign Oil and Indigenous People in Northern Veracruz, Mexico, 1900-1921". Journal of American History 99 (1): 62-71.
- Sellers, Christopher & Melling, Joseph. 2012. "Work, Home, and Natural Environments: Health and Safety in the Mexican Oil Industry, 1900-1938". In Dangerous Trade: Histories of Industrial Hazard Across a Globalizing World, eds. Christopher, Sellers and Melling, Joseph, 33-46. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2012. "Class and Nature in the Oil Industry of Northern Veracruz, 1900-1938". In A Land Between Waters: Environmental Histories of Modern Mexico, ed. Boyer, Christopher, 173-191. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2011. "The Huasteca Rainforest: An Environmental History". Latin American Research Review 46 (2011): 32-54.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2009. "Women of the Mexican Oil Fields: Class, Nationality, Economy, Culture, 1900-1938". Journal of Women's History 21:1: 89-112.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2007. The Ecology of Oil: Environment, Labor, and the Mexican Revolution, 1900-1938. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Escobar Ohmstede, Antonio & Carrgeha Lamadrid, Luz. 2002. "De 'paraiso' a 'tierra baldia': ambiente y extraccion petrolera en la Huasteca veracruzana, 1908-1921". In El siglo XIX en las Huastecas, ed. Escobar Ohmstede, Antonio, 321-347. Mexico City: CIESAS.
- Santiago, Myrna. 1988. "Rejecting Progress in Paradise: Huastecs, the Environment, and the Oil Industry in Veracruz, Mexico, 1900-1935". Environmental History 3 (2): 169-188.