The History faculty is a distinguished crew. Emeriti professors Kathy Roper and Ronald Isetti won "Professor of the Year" awards. In 2013-2014, the honor goes to Professor Myrna Santiago. In 2011, Professor Carl Guarneri won the Faculty Researcher-Scholar Award for his work on United States history, particularly the Civil War. In 2012, Brother Charles Hilken won the Faculty Service Award for his dedication to our student body and his devotion to the College. In 2013, Professor Gretchen Lemke-Santangelo won the Faculty Researcher-Scholar Award for her work on the history of American women. Congratulations to an outstanding department!
- Ph.D. History, University of California, Berkeley, 1997
- M.A. History, University of California, Berkeley, 1992
- B.A. Latin American Studies, Princeton, 1982
- Professor - St. Mary's College (1998 - Present)
- Distinguished Professor Award, 2013-2014 - Mexican Academy of Sciences (2013)
- Professor of the Year, 2013-2014 - Saint Mary's College of California (May 2012)
- Elinor Melville Book Prize - Conference on Latin American History (January 2008)
Best Book on Latin American Environmental History, "The Ecology of Oil"
- Bryce Wood Book Award - Latin American Studies Association (September 2007)
Outstanding Book on Latin America in the Social Sciences and the Humanities, "The Ecology of Oil"
- Santiago, Myrna. 2013. "Cocaine in United States History". In Alcohol and Drugs in North America: A Historical Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2012. "Culture Clash: Foreign Oil and Indigenous People in Northern Veracruz, Mexico, 1900-1921". Journal of American History 99 (1): 62-71.
- Sellers, Christopher & Melling, Joseph. 2012. "Work, Home, and Natural Environments: Health and Safety in the Mexican Oil Industry, 1900-1938". In Dangerous Trade: Histories of Industrial Hazard Across a Globalizing World, eds. Christopher, Sellers and Melling, Joseph, 33-46. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2012. "Class and Nature in the Oil Industry of Northern Veracruz, 1900-1938". In A Land Between Waters: Environmental Histories of Modern Mexico, ed. Boyer, Christopher, 173-191. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2011. "The Huasteca Rainforest: An Environmental History". Latin American Research Review 46 (2011): 32-54.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2009. "Women of the Mexican Oil Fields: Class, Nationality, Economy, Culture, 1900-1938". Journal of Women's History 21:1: 89-112.
- Santiago, Myrna. 2007. The Ecology of Oil: Environment, Labor, and the Mexican Revolution, 1900-1938. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Escobar Ohmstede, Antonio & Carrgeha Lamadrid, Luz. 2002. "De 'paraiso' a 'tierra baldia': ambiente y extraccion petrolera en la Huasteca veracruzana, 1908-1921". In El siglo XIX en las Huastecas, ed. Escobar Ohmstede, Antonio, 321-347. Mexico City: CIESAS.
- Santiago, Myrna. 1988. "Rejecting Progress in Paradise: Huastecs, the Environment, and the Oil Industry in Veracruz, Mexico, 1900-1935". Environmental History 3 (2): 169-188.