"Our ongoing examination of who we are in our full humanity, embracing all our identities, creates the possibility of building alliances that may ultimately free us all." - Beverly Tatum
The Intercultural Center strives to create a safe and supportive learning environment that values diversity and builds inclusive community. Through its co-curricular programs and services, the IC educates the campus for cultural competence and social justice.
- Develop and implement co-curricular programs and services that foster intercultual competency.
- Provide a safe space for all students to engage their multiple, intersecting, and evolving identities.
- Advocate for and empower historically underrepresented and traditionally marginalized groups.
- Support student leaders to be change agents for social justice.
- Build connections to help create a community that values diversity in all of its forms.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of engaging in IC programs and services, students will:
- Explore the multiple, intersecting, and evolving dimensions of their identity.
- Engage with cultures different from their own.
- Practice civil and respectful ways of interacting with people who are different from them.
- Increase their sense of belonging within the Saint Mary’s community.
- Examine and deconstruct power, privilege, and systematic oppression.
- Advocate for historically underrepresented and traditionally marginalized groups.
- Demonstrate leadership to work for social justice.