- Ph.D. Economics, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- M.S. Agricultural Economics, Cornell University
- B.A. Political Economy & Development Studies, University of California at Berkeley
- Fulbright Senior Scholar Research Award (to Nepal, 2008-2009) - U.S. State Department, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs & Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Chevron Chair of Political Economy & International Development - School of Economics and Business Administration (SEBA), Saint Mary's College of California
- Public Banking and 21st Century Socialism.
Public Banking 2013: Funding the New Economy. Sponsored by the Public Banking Institute and the Green MBA Program of Dominican University, Angelico Hall, San Rafael, CA
(June 03, 2013)
- Cultural Imperialism and Economic Dependency in the Pacific Islands Today: The Case for Economic Sovereignty.
MOANA NUI 2013 - Peoples of the Pacific - Confronting Globalization, Militarization, Resource Theft, and America's "Pacific Pivot." Sponsored by The International Forum on Globalization & Pua Mohala I Ka Po. Berkeley Adult School, Berkeley, CA
(May 31, 2013)
- What Does it Mean to be a Teacher at St. Mary's College as Opposed to Simply an Economics Teacher? An Insider's Perspective.
Faculty Panelist in "Colleges That Change Lives Counselor Tour," St. Mary’s College (Brother Jerome West)
(March 21, 2013)
- The International Trafficking of Arms, Drugs, and People and Its Impact On Developing Countries.
The 9th Annual Pacific Conference for Development Economics (PACDEV) 2013, San Francisco State University
(March 09, 2013)
- Ending the Crisis of Global Capitalism or Exiting Global Capitalism Altogether?.
The 6th Annual Monterey Institute International Trade and Investment Conference Sponsored by the Graduate School of International Policy and Management, Monterey Institute of International Studies
(March 02, 2013)
- What Reforms to the IFI's are Needed to Support Inclusive and Sustainable Growth? Are such Reforms Possible given the Power and Influence of US-led IFI's?.
UNCTAD E-Discussion & E-Debate on the Post-2015 Development-Led Globalization Agenda
(January 25, 2013)
- Mathematics and Game Theory of Today's Financial Institutions.
UC Berkeley's 20th Anniversary of Seminar: Mathematics in Film & Fiction (Math 24)
(November 15, 2012)
- Land Titling and Credit Access: An Empirical Look at Nepal's Historic Land Reforms of 1964, University of Madison, Wisconsin. ,
7th Annual Himalayan Policy Research Conference & 41st Annual South Asia Conference
(October 11, 2012)
- Interconnections in the Globalized World and Across the Social Sciences. ,
Los Gatos-Saratoga Unified School District Fesitval of Learning (Talk Given to Awarded High School Teachers)
(October 08, 2012)
- A Historical Assessment of the 1964 Land Reforms in Nepal: Beyond Both State- and Market-Led Models.
87th Annual Western Economic Association International Conference, San Francisco, California USA
(July 02, 2012)
- Political Economy and Public Policy in Developing Countries.
The 8th Annual Pacific Conference for Development Economics, University of California, Davis
(March 17, 2012)
- Maoist Calls for Land Reform in Revolutionary Nepal: Are the Macroeconomic Constraints too Big?. ,
Sixth Annual Himalayan Policy Research Conference & the 40th Annual South Asia Conference, Madison, Wisconsin
(October 20, 2011)
- Postmodernism in Development Studies: The Last Bastion of the Noble Savage. ,
Fifth Annual Himalayan Policy Research Conference & 39th Annual South Asian Conference, Madison Wisconsin
(October 14, 2010)
- International Migration and Its Effects. ,
Sixth Annual International Pacific Development Economics Conference, University of Southern California
(March 13, 2010)
- The Global Economic Crisis, Growing Macroeconomic Structural Imbalances, and the New Limitations for Domestic Policy in Third World Agriculture. ,
Kathmandu Univeristy School of Management & Tribhuvan University, Department of Economics and Social Science
(July 14, 2009)
- A Drop in the Bucket? Limits of Neoliberal Microfinance. ,
South Asia Institute for Management (SAIM). School of Business, Kathmandu, Nepal
(June 27, 2009)
- The Politics of Disaster During Economic Recessions: The Case of Nepal.
Kathmandu University School of Management (KUSOM) & World Bank Heritage Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal
(May 21, 2009)
- The Decoupling Thesis Revsited: South Asia in the Global Economy.
Pokhara University. School of Business and Management, Pokhara, Nepal
(May 18, 2009)
- World Economic History and the Himalayan Region 5,000 Years Ago.
Prithvi Narayan (P.N.) Campus. Department of History, Pokhara, Nepal
(April 20, 2009)
- Land Reform in the New Nepal: Opportunities and Challenges.
Martin Chautari Institute, Kathmandu, Nepal
(April 07, 2009)
- Thinking Like a Social Scientist: Learning Some Advanced Research Tools and Publishing Internationally.
Conference Sponsored by NEGAAS---Nepal German Academic Association & SOSREF---Social Science Research Foundation-Nepal
(March 30, 2009)
- MFI's in Nepal: Getting the Econ of Econometrics Right.
College of Development Studies, Baneshwor, Kathmandu, Nepal
(March 15, 2009)
- Epistemological and Theoretical Dependency: Stakeholder Scholarship in Nepal.
Social Science Baha Research Institute, Kathmandu, Nepal
(March 08, 2009)
- Diversity in the Workplace: The Case of Quotas in Education for Indigenous Groups in Nepal.
Nepal's International Annual Human Resources Meet , Sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, Yak and Yeti Hotel, Kathmandu, Nepal
(February 27, 2009)
- Development Economics Under Threat: New Developments in World Economic History.
Conference on Andre Gunder Frank's Legacy of Critical Social Science, David Lawrence Hall, University of Pittsburgh
(April 12, 2008)
- International Dependency Theory Today: Revisiting the Great Thinkers.
Conference on Heterodox Macroeconomics: Keynes, Marx and Globalization, Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
(October 19, 2007)
- The Political Economy of Civil Conflict in Nepal.
Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Department of Economics, New Delhi, India
(February 07, 2007)
- Neoliberalism, Credit Markets & The Case of Farmer-Assisted Suicides in Rural India.
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR), Visiting Professor, Mumbai, India
(January 22, 2007)
- Strange Priors in the Globalization Debate (presented on behalf of Professor Don Snyder).
Annual American Economics Association Meetings, Chicago
(January 06, 2007)
- The Economics of Inequality: A Primers Guide. ,
Faculty Forum on Inequality in America and Beyond, St. Marys College
(April 04, 2006)
- Current Global Debates on Land Reform and Tenure Security: Competing Perspectives & Policies. ,
International Pacific Conference for Development Economics. Santa Clara University
(March 04, 2006)
- Western Private Property Rights and the Mythology of State-led Land Reforms in Poverty Alleviation.
Department of South Asian Studies. National University of Singapore
(January 24, 2006)
- Social Distance in Agrarian Contracts: A New Determinant for Efficiency?. ,
Indira Gandhi Institute for Development Economics (IGIDR), Visiting Professor, Mumbai, India
(January 12, 2006)
- Is the Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship True for Rural Nepal?: Implications for the World Bank's Proposals for Market-Assisted Land Reform.
International Conference on Land, Poverty, Social Justice, and Development. Institute of Social Studies (ISS), The Hague, Netherlands
(January 05, 2006)
- Cultural Imperialism and Economic Dependency in the Pacific Islands: A. Bhandari, Ravi
MOANA NUI 2013 - Peoples of the Pacific--Confronting Globalization, Militarization, Resource Theft, and America's "Pacific Pivot"
Public Banking 2013: Funding the New Economy
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2013. Rise of the Global Corporatocracy: An Interview with John Perkins. Monthly Review 64 (10): March.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2012. Real World Globalization: A Reader in Politics, Economics, and Social Policy, 12th edition. Boston, MA: Dollars & Sense.
- Bhandari, Ravi and Linghorn, Alex. 2011. Maoist Calls for Radical Land Reform in Post-Conflict Nepal: Is the Macroeconomic Environment Simply too Adverse?. Himalayan Journal of Development and Democracy 6 (2): 1-21.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2011. Real World Globalization: A Reader in Economics, Politics, and Social Policy, 11th edition. Boston, MA: Dollars & Sense.
- Bhandari, Ravi and Pomeranz, Kenneth. 2011. Comparative Economic Development: Explaining the Great Divergence with New Evidence from World History (Reprint). In Real World Globalization, 11th edition: 173-184.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2011. Reforming Land Reform: Land Reform is back in the International Spotlight (Reprint). In Real World Globalization, 11th edition: 201-211.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2011. The Four Pillars of Land Reform: Can Revolutionary Nepal Stand Up?. Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Himalayan Policy Research Conference, Himalayan Journal of Development and Democracy 6 (1): 70.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2010. Postmodernism in Development Studies: The Last Bastion of the Noble Savage. Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Himalayan Policy Research Conference, Himalayan Journal of Development and Democracy 5 (1): 79-86.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2010. The Use and Abuse of Social Capital Across the Social Sciences. Himalayan Journal of Sociology and Anthropology 4 (1): 224-240.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2009. Does the Highly Unequal Land Distribution in Poor Countries Have Macroeconomic Foundations?. In The Wealth Inequality Reader, 3rd edition, eds. Fireside, Daniel, Rao, Smriti, Gluckman, Amy and Reuss, Alejandro, 234-242. Boston, MA: Dollars & Sense.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2009. Reforming Land Reform in Post-Conflict States. In Real World Globalization, 10th edition, ed. Bhandari, Ravi, 231-242. Boston, MA: Dollars and Sense.
- Bhandari, Ravi and Shrestha, Nanda. 2009. Rising Ethno-Cultural Nationalism in Nepal: Postmodern Illusion or Democratic Delusion?. Sociological Bulletin 59 (1): 6-24.
- Bhandari, Ravi & Pomeranz, Kenneth. 2009. Comparative Economic Development: Explaining the Great Divergence with New Evidence from World History. In Real World Globalization, 10th edition, ed. Bhandari, Ravi, 193-204. Boston: MA: Dollars and Sense.
- 2009. Real World Globalization, 10th edition., ed. Bhandari, Ravi Boston, MA: Dollars and Sense.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2007. The Peasant Betrayed: Towards a Human Ecology of Land Reform. In Human Ecology Economics: A New Framework for Global Sustainability, ed. Allen, Roy, 97-139. London & New York: Routledge.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2007. The Significance of Social Distance in Sharecropping Efficiency: The Case of a 'Developed" and 'Underdeveloped' Village in the Nepalese Tarai. Journal of Economic Studies 34 (4): 290-310.
- Bhandari, Ravi and Mitra, Siddartha. 2007. Inter-Racial Social Distance Over Time in a Multi-Racial Country: The Case of United States. Social Science Research Network Working Paper Series.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2007. The State's Role in Private Sector Development in the New Nepal, Proceedings of the E-Seminar No. 1, 2007. Liberal Democracy Nepal Bulletin 2 (1): 72-86.
- Bhandari, Ravi. 2006. Searching for a Weapon of Mass Production in Nepal: Can Market-Assisted Land Reform Live Up to its Promise?. Journal of Developing Societies 22 (2): 11-143.
- . Real World Globalization: A Reader in Politics, Economics, and Public Policy., eds. Bhandari, Ravi and Reuss, Alejandro
- . Real World Globalization: A Reader in Politics, Economics, and Social Policy., ed. Bhandari, Ravi