Consists of the following:
- The completed online application.
- Work Samples/Portfolio Materials (see specific instructions by program below).
- A Personal Statement at least two (2) but no more than five (5) double-spaced typewritten pages. Describe in detail your background and current interests as a dancer and choreographer or a designer and/or technician/manager, as well as your ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time. If you’re applying to both programs, please address your abilities and experiences with regard to both.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with you and your work. Letters of recommendation must include the author’s original signature. Letters must be submitted via standard mail directly to the MFA Program by the recommender, or you may mail them with your other application materials in a sealed envelope signed by the recommender. A PDF waiver form must accompany each of your letters of recommendation. The waiver form is available here or via the online application at the “Downloadable Forms” link and/or via a link on the "References" page. Waiver forms should accompany the letter.
- Official transcripts from the degree-granting colleges you have previously attended, with proof of a Bachelor’s degree. (Please note on your application if the name on your transcript is different from your current name.)
- A $50 application fee must accompany the online application. Make checks payable to Saint Mary’s College or pay by credit card via the online application.
Please note that the MFA in Dance does not require applicants to submit Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores.
The MFA in Dance does not require application materials to be submitted at the same time. Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as they are prepared rather than waiting until all materials are ready to submit.
The priority deadline for receipt of all materials is January 2, 2014 for admission in the June of 2014. Materials are not required to be submitted all at once, however in order to be considered for the priority deadline all materials must be received by January 2, 2014. Applications will be accepted beyond the priority deadline if space permits. The application fee is $50 for all applications, however only applications recieved by the priority deadline are guaranteed review.
If you have any questions about the program or application process please email:
Supplemental materials may be submitted either digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org or via standard mail to the address below. Please be sure to clearly indicate your full name on all materials so that they can be linked to your online application and any materials submitted separately. All materials submitted in hard copy including letters of recommendation and official transcripts for applicants seeking priority standing should be received by the January 2 deadline and mailed to:
MFA in Dance
Saint Mary’s College
ATTN: Application Materials
P.O. Box 3001
Moraga, CA 94575
MFA in Dance: Creative Practice
- Please submit a sample of writing from any area of study, five (5) – ten (10) double-spaced typewritten pages, plus works cited. Papers with professor’s comments are welcome. All writing samples should be in 12-point font. Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
- Please submit a sample of choreography. Limit the sample to 10 minutes. Include a full dance, or section of a work. Excerpts are also accepted as supplemental materials. Acceptable forms include DVD, Vimeo, or website (DVDs should be properly labeled and mailed to the address above, weblinks should be submitted via email to email@example.com). Please do not send YouTube, Facebook, or other social media links. Please include a self-addressed, postage paid envelope if you wish your work samples to be returned.
- Written support materials for Work Sample in 12-point font with the following information:
Year of premiere
Short description of the dance
Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
MFA in Dance: Design and Production
- Please submit a sample of writing from any area of study, five (5) – ten (10) double-spaced typewritten, plus works cited. Papers with professor’s comments are welcome. All writing samples should be in 12-point font. Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
- Please submit either a physical portfolio via standard mail to the address above or a digital portfolio via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Portfolios should demonstrate the applicant's strengths and breadth in the areas of design and/or production and may include a wide range of artistic/production disciplines including: photography, visual art, graphic/video design, theatrical design, project management, etc. Students are encouraged to submit a digital portfolio whenever possible; physical portfolios will only be returned to the applicant if requested and either self-addressed packaging and return postage accompanies the portfolio or the applicant arranges to retrieve it in person. Once portfolio materials have been reviewed applicants may be contacted for an interview. Interviews may be held in person or via video conference.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
In addition to the application requirements noted aboce, please submit the following in hard copy to the address above:
1. A copy of your TOEFL score
2. A copy of your passport
3. A copy of your bank statement or bank affidavit
4. A copy of Certificate of Finance