Your application the the MFA consists of the following:
- The completed online application. The priority deadline for receipt of all materials is November 3, 2014 for admission in the summer of 2015. Applications will be reviewed beyond prioroty deadline as space permits.
Works samples/portfolio materials (see specific requirements below)
- Your Personal Statement should be at least two (2) but no more than five (5) double-spaced typewritten pages. In it, you should describe in detail your background and current interests as a dancer and choreeographer or a designer and/or technicican/manager, as well as your ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time.
A minimum of two letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with you and your work and your ability to undertake graduate school at this time.
One copy of official transcripts from the degree-granting colleges you have previously attended, with proof of a Bachelor’s degree. (Please note on your application if the name on your transcript is different from your current name.)
A $50 application fee must accompany the online application. Make checks payable to Saint Mary’s College or pay by credit card via the online application.
Please note that the MFA in Dance Program does not require applicants to submit Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores.
Supplemental materials may be submitted either digitally to email@example.com or via standard mail to the address below. Please be sure to clearly indicate your full name on all materials so that they can be linked to your online application. All materials submitted should be received by the Novemeber 3rd deadline mailed to:
Saint Mary’s College
ATTN: Application Materials
P.O. Box 3001
Moraga, CA 94575
For Both Programs; Creative Practice and Design and Production
Please submit a sample of writing from any area of study, five (5) – ten (10) double-spaced typewritten pages, plus works cited. Papers with professor’s comments are welcome. All writing samples should be in 12-point font. Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
MFA in Dance: Creative Practice
1. Please submit a sample of choreography. Limit the sample to 10 minutes. Include a full dance, or section of a work. Excerpts are also accepted as supplemental materials. Acceptable forms include DVD, Vimeo, or website (DVDs should be properly labeled and mailed to the address above, weblinks should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org). Please do not send YouTube, Facebook, or other social media links. Please include a self-addressed, postage paid envelope if you wish your work samples to be returned.
2. Written support materials for Work Sample in 12-point font with the following information:
Year of premiere
Short description of the dance
Acceptable formats include .doc, .docx, or PDF.
MFA in Dance: Design and Production
Please submit either a physical portfolio via standard mail to the address above or a digital portfolio via email to email@example.com. Portfolios should demonstrate the applicant's strengths and breadth in the areas of design and/or production and may include a wide range of artistic/production disciplines including: photography, visual art, graphic/video design, theatrical design, project management, etc. Students are encouraged to submit a digital portfolio whenever possible; physical portfolios will only be returned to the applicant if requested and either self-addressed packaging and return postage accompanies the portfolio or the applicant arranges to retrieve it in person. Once portfolio materials have been reviewed applicants may be contacted for an interview. Interviews may be held in person or via video conference.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS
In addition to the online application requirements, please snail mail the following in hard copy to the address above:
1. A copy of your TOEFL (550 Paper Based, 213 Computer Based, 79 - 80 New Internet Based)
2. A copy of your passport
3. A copy of your bank statement or bank affidavit
4. A copy of Certificate of Finance
If you have any questions about the program or application process, please contact the Program Coordinator, Jennifer Smith, at (925) 631-8183, firstname.lastname@example.org