The General Process to hire a Lecturer at SMC
- For lecturer faculty positions, please send your job description and qualifications to Vickia Brinkley at [email protected] to be inputted into the online system.
- Once the position has been entered into the online system, you or your designee will be notified to create an online job requisition (request). You may also ask for Vickia Brinkley's assistance. She will need to have the salary budget (G/L) code where the position will be funded to promptly assist you. This job requisition is used to secure approvals through your School or Department and to ensure that it is proper funded prior to it being posted.
The Recruitment Process:
- Once the position has been fully signed of from all approvers, then the position will be posted and advertised once you have contacted S. Jamila Buckner at [email protected] or 925-631-4213 to discuss recruitment strategies on how to attract quality candidates to the position. This meeting with also cover hiring timelines, interview protocol, how to effectively use the online system, how to recommend candidates for hire, and the on-boarding process.
- Positions are posted on the SMC site for a minimum of 5 business days. Positions are advertised on job boards for a minimum of 30 days. Interviewing can begin at anytime, however offers can only be made after a position posting is closed.
- Be sure to identify members of your Search Committee ( if applicable) to Vickia Brinkley at [email protected], so that each member can gain access to view candidate information online.
Hiring and On-boarding:
- Once you have selected the new lecturer and received approval from your Dean, please move the candidates name to the hired status in our online recruitment system and send an email to Vickia Brinkley. This will get the background check started. Work with the Dean's office to have the terns of the new contract started.
- Be sure to use your Recruitment partners throughout the process, especially during key times such as your initial committee meetings, travel for candidates coming for in person interviews, during the final stage of identifying candidates to guide the reference process and background checking process.
For more information, please contact S. Jamila Buckner, Director, Faculty & Staff Recruitment, Special Projects and HR Consultation at 925-631-4213 or [email protected].