These are general guidelines on how to begin the recruitment process to hire a new staff person. For additonal information, please contact S. Jamila Buckner, Director of Faculty and Staff Recruitment & HR Consulation at 925-631-4213 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
The General Process to hire a staff member at SMC
Identify if it is a new or replacement position. If it is a new staff position, begin by creating a Position Source Document (PSD). If it is a replacement position skip to step 2.
Once you have created a PSD, please send an electronic copy to Peter Chen at email@example.com. Peter will begin the evaluation process for the proper grade and he will send an email to confirm the grade and general salary guides. He will then indicate that the job request for recruitment ( requisition) and posting process can begin.
- For staff positions, please send your job description and qualifications to Vickia Brinkley at firstname.lastname@example.org to be inputted into the online system ( GaelRecruit powered by NeoGov) for the recruitment process to begin.
- Once the position has been entered into the GaelRecruit, you or your designee will be notified to create an online job requisition (request). This job requisition is used to secure approvals through your School or Department and to ensure that it is proper funded prior to it being posted.
- Once the position has been fully signed of from all approvers, then the position will be posted and advertisted.
- Positions are posted on the SMC site for a minimum of 5 business days. Positions are advertised on job boards for a minimum of 30 days.
- Next, be sure to identify members of your Search Committee ( if applicable) to Vickia Brinkley at email@example.com, so that each member can gain access to view candidate information online.
- Contact S. Jamila Buckner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-631-4213 to schedule a meeting to discuss recruitment strategies on how to attract quality candidates to the position. This meeting with also cover hiring timelines, interview protocol, how to effectively use the online system, how to recommend candidates for hire, and the onboarding process.
- Interviewing can begin at anytime, however offers can only be made after a position posting is closed.
- Offers can not be made before a consultation with S. Jamila Buckner x4213 and email@example.com
- Be sure to use your Recruitment partners throughout the process, especially during key times such as your initial committee meetings, travel for candidates coming for in person interviews, during the final stage of identifying candidates, for staff positions - at the stage of making an offer, for all positions - to guide the reference process and background checking process.
For more information, please contact S. Jamila Buckner, Director, Faculty & Staff Recruitment, Special Projects and HR Consultation at 925-631-4213 or firstname.lastname@example.org.