Family Members/VA Dependents


Benefits for VA Dependents


First Steps

First, you must apply online through the VA website for education benefits – Form 22-1990

Following the review of your application, the VA will issue a certificate of eligibility to qualified individuals. The certificate will contain basic eligibility information including months of entitlement, period of eligibility and benefit level.

Students must submit the following to the School Certifying Official:

Post 9-11 GI Bill® – Transfer of Entitlement to Spouse/Dependent Child

  • Service members: Visit the milConnect website for instructions on how to request the transfer of benefits to a dependent or spouse.
  • Student: Once the request is approved, the family member using the benefit must submit a request for a certificate if eligibility to the VA. The family member should use VA Form 22-1990e and can apply online through the VA

Survivors/Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA), Chapter 35


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at