International Undergraduate Admissions
Join the ranks of an active, successful, and welcoming community of trailblazers and leaders making a global impact.
We’re an inclusive and supportive community where highly respected faculty guide graduate students to learn, explore, and build successful and fulfilling careers and lives. Our beautiful Bay Area campus is nestled in the rolling hills of Moraga, just 23 miles east of San Francisco. Our faculty and alumni connections with tech companies and more throughout Silicon Valley ensures our students tremendous opportunities for professional growth. We offer small class sizes, and professors know students by name. These are a few of the reasons Saint Mary’s earns a spot in the U.S. News & World Report list of the top five regional universities in the West.
How To Apply
1. Apply via the Common App for Free
Use the fee waiver code ApplySMC.
2. Upload Your Unofficial Transcripts via the Saint Mary's applicant status page or have your high school counselor send the official transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. For admissions review purposes we can use unofficial transcripts, however once admitted an official transcript will be required.
3. Check Back on Your Application Status
Within 48 hours of submitting your application, you’ll receive an email to log in to your SMC Applicant Status Page.
Fall Term Early Action
Fall Term Regular Decision
The chief qualities sought in a candidate are their intellectual preparation, the seriousness of their purpose, and their moral integrity. The school record is considered the most reliable measure of potential college ability. However, extracurricular accomplishments may strengthen an application insofar as they indicate special talents, perseverance, and maturity.
Applications for admission are reviewed on an individual basis, and minor deficiencies in preparation may be waived if justified by superior marks, test scores, and recommendations.
All successful applicants are expected to complete at least 16 units of secondary school course work that will include the following:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of Mathematics (algebra, advanced algebra or the equivalent, and geometry)*
- 2 years of the same foreign language
- 2 years of science (at least one laboratory)*
- 2 years of social studies (at least 1 year of U.S. history)
*Students who plan to major in a science or mathematics are expected to show particular strength in their scientific and mathematical preparation.
Request your Official Transcripts be sent by your school to Saint Mary's
Academic grade requirements for admission will conform to the recommendations of the guidelines as set forth by NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, and the Country Index.
- Original, official transcripts are required. If the transcript is not in English, a certified English translation is required.
- Any period of the four-year high school record not reflected on the American high school transcript must be sent from all schools attended abroad.
- Cumulative academic performance when translated into grade point averages must minimally be 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Certain system’s grades cannot be translated equivalently to a 4.0 scale; in such cases, Saint Mary’s admissions staff will include a narrative to assist with the admission decision.
- Official college transcripts are required for all students who have attended any post-secondary school. Applicants must list each college they’ve attended on the application for admission and official transcripts must be provided from each institution attended. A notary’s seal alone does not make a transcript official. Students transferring from universities in other countries must also provide a professional course-by-course credit evaluation of their educational transcript or credentials.
English Proficiency Test Scores
In lieu of taking an English Proficiency Exam, applicants can submit SAT or ACT scores as long as the score in the English subsection meets the minimum requirements as outlined below.
|79 iBT & each subscore must be 19 or higher
|6.5 or higher
|105 or higher
|Level C1 or higher
|ELS Language Center, Level 112
|2.75 GPA or higher
|450 or higher in the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section
|21 or higher
Request a Letter of Recommendation be sent to Saint Mary's
Letters of recommendation are not required but are encouraged. We advise giving your counselor or teacher ample time to submit the letter of recommendation by the postmark deadline. Letters may be sent directly by recommender through the Common Application, by postal mail, or by email to email@example.com.
Students must have completed at least 23 transferable semester credit hours and minimally cumulative grade point averages of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in performance at American collegiate institutions. Any prior university-level work from outside of the U.S. must minimally be equivalent to 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or in the above-average range when there is no direct correlation to a 4.0 scale.
International Students Attending a College or University in the U.S.
- Students attending or transferring from other U.S. colleges or universities must meet the same English proficiency requirements as international students applying from abroad.
- Transfer applicants must show evidence of being in good immigration status by submitting the SEVIS Transfer Form and accompanying documents upon submitting the enrollment deposit to Saint Mary's.
International Transfer Students Attending a College or University Outside of the U.S.
Submit a professional transfer credit evaluation for all Colleges or Universities attended outside of the U.S., which should include:
- Description of course content
- Description of course units
- Number of hours spent per course, per quarter/semester/other
- Explanation of the grading system used
Credit for coursework completed at collegiate institutions in other nations that are English-based and patterned after the American community college system will be evaluated for credit on a course-by-course basis. Current programs include Kolej Damansara Utama and the HELP Institutes in Malaysia; Taylor’s College Malaysia, China, Singapore, and Thailand; INTI College Malaysia, Indonesia, and China, Center American Education in Singapore.
Saint Mary’s College welcomes students who have challenged themselves in the classroom by taking Honors, Advanced Placement (AP), or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses. Accepted students will have the opportunity to transfer credits earned through examinations in AP or IB courses. The College grants up to a full year of college credit for AP examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board or higher-level IB courses.
Once you have placed your enrollment deposit at Saint Mary's, you can begin the process of applying for your F-1 student visa. After submitting your enrollment deposit, you will be able to upload the required documents for your Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 on your applicant status page.
After you have uploaded the required documents and they are approved, you will be issued an I-20. With the I-20, you will be able to complete the F-1 visa application and arrange a visa appointment at your local US Embassy or Consulate.
Required Documents to Receive an I-20 from Saint Mary’s:
- Completed and signed Certificate of Finances
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of financial documents
Submit your Certificate of Finances through your applicant status page
Additional Information about Financial Requirements
The U.S. Department of State requires students to prove their financial ability to cover the first year of academic study at Saint Mary's College of California. The College is required to verify your financial resources.
To do so, you must complete the Certification of Finances Form. This form must be completed and signed by the student and any financial sponsor that the student will use to fund their studies at Saint Mary's College of California.
This document is required in order to receive an I-20 from Saint Mary's College. The estimated cost of attendance on the Certificate of Finances form does not cover living expenses for the summer vacation period, transportation costs to and from campus, or visa application fees.
As an F-1 student visa holder, students are not authorized to work in the U.S. except under special circumstances. Do not include anticipated campus employment as part of your financial documentation.
Transfer Students Only: Submit your F-1 Student SEVIS Transfer Form through your applicant status page. If you are transferring from another U.S. institution, complete the F-1 SEVIS Transfer Form along with a copy of your current F-1 visa, and a copy of your current I-20.
Find scholarships available to you.
Saint Mary's offers a number of scholarships for international students, with awards ranging from $2,000 to $29,000. Learn more about these great financial aid opportunities below.