Tackling climate change, helping endangered animals, teaching fifth-grade science—with a degree in Biology, the possibilities are truly limitless.
Let Saint Mary’s Biology Department be a launchpad for your unique aspirations. Using a balance of theoretical and experimental work, our program will provide you with a foundational understanding of life science, including the basis for life, organism structures and functions, and evolutionary processes. All of this takes place within small, discussion-rooted classes, a hallmark of the liberal arts tradition.
Guided by our renowned, approachable faculty, you’ll hone your ability to wrestle with unfamiliar problems and ethical issues, the tools to investigate topics in-depth, and the communication skills needed to share information with others. We’re committed to providing you with hands-on opportunities, both in formal classes and through directed laboratory, field research opportunities at home and abroad, and independent study.
By majoring in biology, students will fulfill many learning outcomes that can be arranged under six broad categories:
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge in all three major areas of biology: molecular and cellular, organismal and ecology and evolutionary;
- Analyze logically and critically scientific information;
- Apply knowledge they have already mastered from current and previous courses to the exploration of new areas of inquiry;
- Communicate skillfully through written and oral reports;
- Use biological methodology competently for laboratory research; and
- Integrate awareness of ethical issues with their understanding of and work in biology.
Saint Mary's Testimonials
“Pursuing a major in Biology at Saint Mary's College of California allows one to delve into the mysteries and beauty of life. The Biology program allows students to be prepared for future endeavors through educating in a wide range of sub-fields within Biology.”
Tom Latz, Class of 2022
Western Regional Universities - U.S. News & World Report: Best Colleges 2023