Good News: On-campus residential students and off campus students in Tier 2 may separately engage in informal outdoor social gatherings!
Dear Saint Mary’s Students,
I wanted to share some good news. Now that we are in Tier 2 (Red) and the shelter at home has been lifted, the COVID Dashboard for our county continues to improve, more things are open on our campus.
We wanted to let you know that in Tier 2, on-campus residential students may engage in informal outdoor social gatherings (i.e. students living on campus can “hang out”). In compliance with the CDPH Guidance on Social Gatherings, such gatherings can include students living in three different rooms or suites/townhouses (i.e. households) and up to 18 students (e.g. 3 suites of 6). Additionally, in Tier 2, with off-campus students able to access campus, they are also welcome to hang-out with other off-campus students in outdoor spaces. Guidelines for doing this are below.
Here are some details for your information:
- Residential students can gather informally with a friend group of other residential students from a total of three rooms (households);
- Off-campus students similarly can gather informally with other off-campus students from a total of three off campus households/apartments;
- The maximum number of students that can gather from three households is 18 in total;
- Facial coverings are worn for the duration of the time together;
- Physical distancing of at least 6 feet is maintained for the duration of the time together;
- Any gathering can be up to 2 hours long;
- Individuals can bring their own snacks as long as they maintain distance from others and wear their facial covering except when eating or drinking;
- Individual non-alcoholic beverages can be brought as well;
- All participants commit to depositing trash, recycling, and compost in appropriate receptacles.
- Remember quiet hours are still in place: Sunday to Thursday - 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and Friday to Saturday - Midnight to 7 a.m.
Here are outdoor spaces that are available for hang-outs and gatherings:
- Library/Dante Quad - Tables and chairs available on lawn, wifi
- Ferroggiaro Quad - Tables and patio furniture available, wifi
- De La Salle Lawn - Can request chairs or tables, wifi
- Chapel Lawn - wifi, bring a blanket
- BUG Hall Parking Lot Pavilion - chairs available and wifi
- Dryden Patio - This is a reservable space with space heaters on a timer and outdoor TV monitor; contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve and get information on the use of the tv monitor and space heaters.
You can bring your own lawn games that have individual players or can be sanitized in between players (e.g. corn hole, badminton, singles pickleball, lawn bowling).
Please remember to continue following safety and health protocols so that we can continue to “hang out” together on campus and enjoy the sunshine and outdoor spaces!
Let us know if you have questions,
Jane Camarillo, Ph.D.
Vice Provost for Student Life