Environmental Science, BS
Understand our planet, how it’s changing, and learn how to take meaningful action.
This major emphasizes data-driven research and scientific fundamentals. Our program will provide you with a unique, interdisciplinary, layered perspective on our ecosystems and the effects of human society.
You’ll hone your ability to reason through unfamiliar problems, the tools to investigate topics in-depth, and the communication skills needed to share information with others. You can gain firsthand research experience in Northern California’s wide variety of biomes, from estuaries to mountain peaks to scrub lands.
With our small class sizes and the mentorship of our renowned faculty, you can make lasting connections in a tight-knit community of difference-makers.
Upon successfully completing the Environmental Science and Studies Programs, students will be able to...
- Recall and synthesize the knowledge derived from biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, economics, and political science to better understand the earth’s environment
- Comprehend environmental problems from multiple perspectives
- Evaluate the credibility of varied sources of information on the environment
- Display cognizance of ethical considerations and be mindful of them when constructing solutions to environmental problems
- Recognize the interconnectedness of earth’s ecosystems and human dependence on them
- Communicate skillfully environmental findings through seminars, written scientific reports and visual presentations
- Know how to find information on environmental topics from library sources, original scientific literature and the Internet;
- Demonstrate competence in using the basic equipment used to gather information on the environment
- Recognize processes and patterns of environmental interactions
SAINT MARY'S TESTIMONIALS
“As an EES Major at SMC it was incredible to experience the connection students had within their cohort as well as with professors. Our departmental graduation consisted of 18 graduates and most of us had been working closely and taking most of the same courses together since our first year….I am very thankful for my time spent within this program and at St. Mary’s.”
Madeleine Vine, '21
Average class size