Mathematics, Pure Track, BS
Explore and master the field Albert Einstein called “the poetry of logic.”
This track is designed primarily for students considering graduate study in mathematics or secondary mathematics teaching. Our program will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of mathematics as well as a working knowledge of fundamental science and computer programming. All of this takes place within small, discussion-rooted classes, a hallmark of the liberal arts tradition.
Guided by our renowned, approachable faculty, you’ll hone your ability to wrestle with unfamiliar problems, the tools to investigate topics in-depth, and the communication skills needed to share information with others. We’re committed to providing you with hands-on opportunities through the laboratory, field research at home and abroad, and independent study.
Learn more about the program
Get to know our well-respected faculty and their academic specialties. Or explore scholarship opportunities and an array of research possibilities.
Upon successfully completing the Mathematics major, students will be able to...
- Demonstrate a mastery of the core SMC undergraduate mathematics curriculum;
- Communicate mathematical ideas and concepts correctly and clearly in both oral and written forms using mathematical reasoning and terminology and symbolic representation;
- Undertake scholarly investigations using appropriate mathematical resources;
- Integrate the use of technological tools into their investigations; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of connections within mathematics and applications to other fields.
Saint Mary's Testimonials
“One of the things I enjoy about being a pure mathematics major on the secondary teaching track is the sense of community that my peers and I form in our classes. In addition, this program has helped me develop into the kind of educator I aspire to be in the future.”
Daniel Kao, Mathematics (Pure Track), Class of 2022
Undergraduate student-faculty ratio