The first year of college is a crucial transition period. It's when you'll lay the foundation for academic and personal success, and we'll support you every step of the way.
The community seeks to help you make a successful transition to college by offering a comprehensive curriculum and support services to engage you in active learning and growth, living among and valuing all members of our diverse community and making vital and meaningful connections both within and beyond the College. In doing so, Saint Mary's seeks to assist each first year student in establishing effective strategies to explore, connect, and engage through the completion of their programs of study. The knowledge and skills Saint Mary's students gain their first year will last them a lifetime.
As a result of participating in the First Year Experience (FYE), students will complete their first year at Saint Mary's with the following:
- Understanding the College's Liberal Arts, Catholic and Lasallian traditions.
- Knowledge of available academic and student support services, and the ability to use them effectively when necessary.
- Knowledge of Saint Mary's programs and activities.
- Understanding of local resources.
- Cohort identity centered on a first year theme and common reading.
- Engagement with the concept of personal and social responsibility.
As part of first year experience a theme is selected to provide a social and academic construct by which you will base your learning in and outside the classroom.