Like most schools, we require the Common App with an essay, a transcript, SAT or ACT scores, a recommendation and an application fee.
Required Application Materials
First-year applicants are required to submit the following:
- A completed Common Application including Essay - Personal Statement, Saint Mary's specific questions and including two short essay questions. These documents are all submitted online at www.commonapp.org.
- Official high school transcript, and official transcripts from any colleges and universities attended, whether the student completed the course(s) or not
- Official scores from SAT or ACT
- One academic letter of recommendation from a counselor or teacher
- $60 USD application fee
Transfer applicants are required to submit the following:
- Final high school transcripts or the results of a high school graduation equivalency exam
- Official transcripts of all college work. Official transcripts must be submitted for all colleges or universities attended whether the student completed the term(s) or not
- A letter of recommendation is highly encouraged, but not required
- $55 USD application fee waived for all spring 2016 transfer applicants
Letters of recommendation may be sent separately or included with other materials. The Admissions Committee will not make a final decision on your application until all application materials are received.
Evaluating Your Application
The chief qualities sought in a candidate are intellectual preparation, seriousness of purpose and moral integrity. The school record is considered the most reliable measure of potential college ability. However, extra-curricular accomplishments may strengthen an application insofar as they indicate special talents, perseverance and maturity.
Applications for admission are reviewed on an individual basis, and minor deficiencies in preparation may be waived if justified by superior marks, test scores and recommendation.
One letter of recommendation is required from your counselor or a teacher with whom you have taken one of the required core classes. We advise giving your counselor or teacher ample time to submit the letter of recommendation by the postmark deadline. The letter may be written on a separate piece of paper or directly on the evaluation form provided by the Common Application.