Convocation is the centerpiece of a weeklong celebration of the life of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, patron saint of teachers, founder of the Christian Brothers and the College’s Lasallian heritage and mission.
During De La Salle Week, the Saint Mary’s Board of Trustees awards an honorary doctorate in educational leadership to an exemplary Lasallian leader. The degree is presented at the Academic Convocation, a formal celebration of our Lasallian heritage. The celebration includes music, an address by the honoree, and citations from faculty, staff, and students.
The 2017 honoree is Brother Peter Bray, Vice Chancellor at Bethlehem University. Brother Peter is a native of New Zealand and has accepted roles of leadership in New Zealand, Australia, United States and in 2008, Bethlehem. He works to provide a quality higher education to the Palestinian people entrusted to Bethlehem University. In a meeting with Pope Francis, Brother Peter remarked, “We are seeking to create an atmosphere, develop an environment, and provide opportunities for our students to learn the skills, acquire the attitude and values that will enable them to live life as fully as they can in the midst of the difficulties they face.” Students, staff and faculty are invited to meet Brother Peter at the Academic Convocation on Wednesday, April 26th at 1 pm in the Chapel. There will be a reception following in the Soda Center.
- Brother Thomas Johnson,FSC, Director of the Novitiate for the Lasallian Region of North America. ( Read his address)
- Brother Robert Schieler, Superior General (Read his address)
- Brother Armin Altamirano Luistro, Secretary of Education Philippines (Read his address)
- Brother Alvaro Rodriquez Echeverria, Superior General
- Brother Gustavo Ramirez Barba, Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, General Councilor
- Brother Augustine (Gus) Boquer, President of De La Salle University-Dasmarinas, Philippines
- Brother Carlos Gabriel Gomez-Restrepo, President of Universidad of de La Salle, Bogota, Columbia
- Gery Short, Director of Education for the De La Salle Christian Brothers for the Western Province
- Brother Jose Cervantes, founder of four universities in Mexico (More about this honoree)
- Brother Gerard Rummery, International formator
- Brother Ed Siderwitz, founder of San Miguel and Catalyst schools in Chicago
- Brother Vincent Malham, former President of Bethlehem University