Academic Convocation Honoree
The Academic Convocation is a key moment in our academic year and a signature event of our annual De La Salle Heritage Days.
The event honors the rich variety of gifts and experiences that make our own community the special place that it is, strives to deepen the College's Lasallian and Catholic heritage, and strengthens our role as a key collaborator in our worldwide Lasallian community. Our 2023 Academic Convocation will take place on Wednesday, April 26, from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. in the Saint Mary’s Chapel. Following will be a reception in the Soda Center.
This year’s Academic Convocation theme is “One La Salle ~ Global Inspirations,” emphasizing our commitment to and participation in a global educational network that touches hearts and transforms lives.
This year’s very special Academic Convocation honoree represents a great contributor to our Lasallian mission: Joan Landeros, Ph.D., AFSC.
Dr. Landeros, a Board member of the International Association of Lasallian Universities (IALU), will also join her 13 Board colleagues at Saint Mary’s for the IALU’s spring meeting of its Executive Committee. It’s quite an honor and privilege to serve as host campus for this annual meeting, and it’s especially appropriate given our “One La Salle ~ Global Inspirations” theme for Academic Convocation.
Celebrate Our Academic Convocation Honoree on April 26!
Joan Landeros, Ph.D., AFSC. will be honored on April 26, 2023 at the Academic Convocation and recognized for her exemplary leadership and service.
There are few individuals who have had a greater impact on the Lasallian international network than Dr. Landeros.
She has been a longstanding educator at Universidad LaSalle, México since 1973, holding a variety of teaching and leadership positions. Dr. Landeros is a visionary who has dedicated countless efforts to building the international Lasallian network of colleges and universities. Additionally, she was a key facilitator of international formation programs and served six years as a member of the Standing Committee for Lasallian Educational Mission in Rome.
Beyond the Lasallian world, Dr. Landeros is recognized as an international leader for the transformative power of education, and she has served on the IAUP/UN Commission for Disarmament Education, Conflict Resolution, and Peace. She is currently a member of the Board of Directors of CONAHEC, and sits on the Executive Committee of the International Association of Lasallian Universities.
A person of true faith and zeal, Dr. Landeros is being recognized for her exemplary leadership and service in promoting the Lasallian charism and mission throughout the world. We are delighted that she will address the Saint Mary’s community at our Academic Convocation, a time for us all to pause, come together, reflect, and celebrate our shared mission.
The campus community is invited to attend the Academic Convocation and the reception immediately following in the Soda Center. Let's welcome and congratulate Dr. Landeros!
Convocation is the centerpiece of a weeklong celebration of the life of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, patron saint of teachers, founder of the Christian Brothers and the College’s Lasallian heritage and mission. Past recipients include:
- Brother Ernest Miller, FSC, DMin., Vice President of Mission, Diversity & Inclusion, La Salle University (read Brother Ernest's Convocation Address)
- Brother James Gaffney, FSC,D.Min., President Emeritus, Lewis University
- Kevin Michael Nagle, Chair, Board of Trustees, Saint Mary's College, Moraga
- Brother Louis DeThomasis, President Emeritus, Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
- Dr. Carmelita I. Ouebengco, Chancellor Emeritus and University Fellow at De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines
- Brother Peter Bray, FSC, Vice Chancellor of Bethlehem, University
- Brother Thomas Johnson,FSC, Director of the Novitiate for the Lasallian Region of North America.
- Brother Robert Schieler, Superior General
- Brother Armin Altamirano Luistro, Secretary of Education Philippines
- Brother Alvaro Rodriquez Echeverria, Superior General
- Brother Gustavo Ramirez Barba, Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, General Councilor
- Brother Augustine (Gus) Boquer, President of De La Salle University-Dasmarinas, Philippines
- Brother Carlos Gabriel Gomez-Restrepo, President of Universidad of de La Salle, Bogota, Columbia
- Gery Short, Director of Education for the De La Salle Christian Brothers for the Western Province
- Brother Jose Cervantes, founder of four universities in Mexico
- Brother Gerard Rummery, International formator
- Brother Ed Siderwitz, founder of San Miguel and Catalyst schools in Chicago
- Brother Vincent Malham, former President of Bethlehem University