Accounting FAQs

Accounting FAQs

Get your questions answered here.

Do I need to declare my accounting major as a freshman? 
No, you can declare your accounting major in your sophomore year and still graduate within 4 years

What are the requirements to sit for the CPA examination? [back to top]
Effective January 1, 2002, significant statutory changes were made for California candidates for the Uniform Certified Public (CPA) examination and applicants for CPA licensure. You can access the full text of these new requirements at In general, you will need 8 (24 semester units) accounting classes and 8 business-related classes to sit for the exam.

Can I take 1 or 2 required upper division courses during the summer at a different institution? 
Yes, with departmental approval, you may be able to take 1 or 2 major requirements at a 4-year college or university over the summer.

Can I use Acct. 191 to fulfill the CIS 090 requirement for a minor in CIS? 

Are internships with CPA firms available in the summer and during the school year? 
Yes, internships are available with local firms as well as the big 4 . Come to Meet The Firms in the fall to find out more about internships and career opportunities in accounting.

What opportunities are available for me to network with other accounting majors at Saint Mary’s? 
The Accounting Club at St Mary’s is a dynamic, active group that sponsors social functions as well as networking opportunities with employers, during the academic year. Be sure to come to the kick-off event in the fall and get a calendar of events for the year.