Secondary Teaching in Mathematics Programs
Interested in becoming a high school mathematics teacher? Saint Mary's offers the following two tracks.
Mathematics 4+1 Secondary Teaching Program
This track is designed for students who are interested in becoming mathematics teachers at the secondary level and also earning a California Teaching Credential through the Kalmanovitz School of Education. Along with a comprehensive understanding of mathematics, our program will train you in Core Curriculum requirements and provide yearly teaching opportunities. You’ll complete your BS in Mathematics degree in your fourth year and your teaching credential in your final one.
Secondary Teaching Program Credential
This track is designed for students who have already completed their bachelor's degree and are interested in becoming mathematics teachers at the secondary level. You will complete your teaching credential in one year.
Upon successfully completing the Mathematics major, students will be able to...
- Demonstrate a mastery of the core SMC undergraduate mathematics curriculum;
- Communicate mathematical ideas and concepts correctly and clearly in both oral and written forms using mathematical reasoning and terminology and symbolic representation;
- Undertake scholarly investigations using appropriate mathematical resources;
- Integrate the use of technological tools into their investigations; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of connections within mathematics and applications to other fields.
Saint Mary's Testimonials
“One of the things I enjoy about being a pure mathematics major on the secondary teaching track is the sense of community that my peers and I form in our classes. In addition, this program has helped me develop into the kind of educator I aspire to be in the future.”
Daniel Kao, Mathematics (Pure Track), Class of 2022
Undergraduate student-faculty ratio
Western Regional Universities - U.S. News & World Report: Best Colleges - 2023