The Museum of Art plays a leading role at Saint Mary's College in aadvancing acedemic excellence in and through the Arts via active collaboration and deep engagement with out students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, members, and the greater Bay Area Arts community.
The Saint Mary's College Museum of Art, once the Hearst Art Gallery, was built with the aid of a grant from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. The Gallery opened in 1977, replacing a smaller William Keith Gallery. The College previously collected and distributed art for several decades, including many works by William Keith (1838-1911), a key figure in the history of California art. Brother Fidelis Cornelius Braeg, Saint Mary's College art professor and Keith biographer, established the original William Keith Collection and Gallery at Saint Mary's in 1934. In 2011, Increasing both exhibitions space and storage space, the Hearst Art Gallery became the Saint Mary's College Museum of Art.