The Saint Mary's College of California climbing wall is located at the Joseph Alioto Recreation Center. Completed in 2015, it features two auto-belay lanes and 3 top-rope lanes. Members must complete the belay class/assessment before climbing (top-rope) each year.
Equipment Rental: All equipment is to member for check-out
- Rock Climbing Shoes
- Belay Device
The use of the Auto Belay is a simple way to climb alone. We asked the you are instructed on how to use the Auto Belay before use. Ask a staff member to assist you.
Belay Instruction Class:
- If you are new to the sport or need a refresher, come by the rock wall to learn how to belay and climb!
- All instruction class availability times will be updated soon!
Belay Assessment Test:
- All climbing wall participants must successfully complete a belay skills assessment to belay other participants.
- Belay Assessment Tests are provided in our instruction classes.
Click here to view current offereing for belay training.
Climbing Wall Policies
- Use of the climbing wall is permitted by members who have been properly trained.
- All users must check-in at the front desk and check out the appropriate harness equipment & shoes.
- Proper climbing shoes are required at all times.
- Member’s personal climbing equipment must have proper approval and be clearly labeled with the owner’s name. If at any time personal equipment presents a danger to oneself or others, member’s use of personal equipment will be denied.
- Members who wish to belay are required to be certified. Certified belay members are required to pass a test with Campus Recreation staff.
- Campus Recreation has the right to remove any persons or equipment that might present a danger to themselves or others.