Explore and master the field Albert Einstein called “the poetry of logic.”
The Bachelor of Arts degree is for students who desire a broad liberal arts education with an emphasis in mathematics. This degree is appropriate for students who wish to major in mathematics as part of a broader interdisciplinary program, such as undertaking a minor or a second major.
Guided by our renowned, approachable faculty, you’ll hone your ability to wrestle with unfamiliar problems, the tools to investigate topics in-depth, and the communication skills needed to share information with others. We’re committed to providing you with hands-on opportunities through the laboratory, field research at home and abroad, and independent study.
Upon successfully completing the Mathematics major, students will be able to...
- Demonstrate a mastery of the core SMC undergraduate mathematics curriculum;
- Communicate mathematical ideas and concepts correctly and clearly in both oral and written forms using mathematical reasoning and terminology and symbolic representation;
- Undertake scholarly investigations using appropriate mathematical resources;
- Integrate the use of technological tools into their investigations; and
- Demonstrate knowledge of connections within mathematics and applications to other fields.
Saint Mary's Testimonials
“I must admit that a huge advantage has come from the liberal arts approach that Saint Mary's applies in every class setting, instilling an effective communication which sits at the core of every report, analysis, and presentation I do.”
Dominica Masarova, Class of 2021 (Mathematics, Computer Science Track, BS)
Western Regional Universities - U.S. News & World Report: Best Colleges - 2023