At Saint Mary's you will have the chance to become part of our long history of celebrating and supporting the literary arts with a concentration in creative writing.
Each year, the English department and its M.F.A. program host a reading series featuring some of the country’s leading novelists, poets and essayists, including time to personally interact with them. We offer at least one undergraduate course in the writing of poetry, fiction, non-fiction, or drama (for screen and stage) every semester.
Courses need to fulfill a concentration in creative writing:
- English 25 (preferably in your freshman or sophomore year)
- Two semesters of English 26 (.25 credit and assosciated with the Reading Series)
- Any three upper-division creative writing classes:
- English 100: Advanced Composition
- *English 102: Creative Writing Series
*Offerings rotate among poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, dramatic writing and screenwriting. May be repeated for credit as genre varies. Satisfies Artistic Understanding (Analysis and Creative Practice) of the Core Curriculum.
Note also that creative writing faculty often teach writing classes during Jan Term. Choosing these courses will allow you to develop your writing even further.