University Credit Union Pavilion
University Credit Union Pavilion is the home to the Saint Mary's men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball teams. The Pavilion features a 3,500-seat basketball court with six moveable baskets. Large, boisterous crowds are the norm for Saint Mary's games, giving the Gaels a great haven and supplying the opposition's coaches numerous nightmares.
The Pavilion is a part of the Brother U. Albert Rahill Activity Center, which also includes Madigan Gymnasium, Saint Mary's Stadium and the SMC Recreation Field. The Center derives its name from the late Brother U. Albert Rahill, "Mr. Saint Mary's", a man who was a Christian Brother for over fifty years and served as President of the College from 1935-1941.
Saint Mary's Stadium
Saint Mary's Stadium is the home to the men and women's soccer, and club rugby teams. Located in the southeast corner of campus with views of the rolling hills of Moraga, Saint Mary's Stadium seats 5,500 spectators in one of the most picturesque settings in the country.
The first game played at Saint Mary's Stadium was on September 22, 1973 as the Gael football team opened its season with a 35-0 victory over Southern Oregon. On that date, the Edward P. "Slip" Madigan Memorial Plaza was dedicated. Located in front of the Stadium, the Plaza was built in honor of the legendary coach who led the Gaels from 1921-1939 and guided the team to a victory in the 1939 Cotton Bowl.
In the fall of 2014, the field underwent a major renovation. More than 100,000 square feet of sod was laid in the stadium by Delta Bluegrass Company in mid-September under the direction of Mercado Landscaping. A turf consisting of Hybrid Bermudas was laid for the playing surface and a 90/10 Tall Fescue and a Special Shade Blend was installed on the outlying areas adjacent to the field. In addition, Ghilotti Bros., Inc. removed existing bleachers at the South end of the field to expand the size of the competition area. Soccer field dimensions were increased to 75 by 120 yards and landscaped grass berms were installed around two-thirds of the field.
The stadium also features a new state-of-the-art Daktronics scoreboard, which displays time, score and various statistical categories throughout the match. The specific information displayed on the board is customized for rugby matches during the spring.
Louis Guisto Field
Located in the front of the campus, Louis Guisto Field is set amongst towering pine trees with views of the campus and the surrounding Moraga hills. Just a few steps away from various types of student housing, the field provides Saint Mary's students a popular venue to enjoy the California sunshine and support the Gaels.
In 2012, the Gaels opened the new Louis Guisto Field, built 400 feet down the right field line from the old location. The new Louis Guisto Field's dimensions are 330 feet down the left and right field lines, 400 feet to dead center and 375 feet in the gaps. Louis Guisto Field will be a part of the much larger Athletics and Recreation Corridor that includes the Joseph L. Alioto Recreation Center, which is attached to the approximate 1,500 person baseball stadium and state-of-the-art press box, which will be introduced over the next three years.
Originally named the Brother Agon Field, the field was renamed after legendary baseball-great Louis Guisto. After a Hall of Fame career as a member of the Saint Mary's Phoenix, Guisto was instrumental in leading a successful drive to restore the baseball program after it was dropped in 1958.
Constructed almost entirely by the Saint Mary's Buildings and Grounds staff, Cottrell Field was named a 2000 NFCA Regional Turface Field Winner. The sandbased field was completed in October, 1999 with 80 percent blue and 20 percent rye turf area, and a stabilizer red skinned infield and warning track system.
The 2000 softball season marked the first year of competition on Cottrell Field. SInce that time, the facility has hosted collegiate conference and high school sectional championships.
The field of dreams became a reality thanks to the donation of Elizabeth Larson. A member of the Board of Trustees, and a tremendous supporter of women's athletics. Larson requested the field be dedicated to the memory of Dr. John Cottrell and his wife Katherine Casassa Cottrell.
Timothy Korth Tennis Complex
Since the winter of 1990, the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex has housed the Saint Mary's men's and women's tennis teams. The complex features 12 courts, offices for coaches, and is located steps away from Louis Guisto and Cottrell Fields.
The complex has hosted the West Coast Conference championships numerous times as well as numerous Rolex, NorCal and North Coast Section high school tournaments.
SMC Recreation Field
Constructed in the summer of 2011, the Saint Mary's Recreation Field provides year-round field space for recreational and athletics programs at Saint Mary's College.
Designed by Verde Design, Inc. and installed by Carone & Company, Inc., the field features a state-of-the-art Mondo Sport Turf artificial surface that provides field use regardless of weather conditions. Construction workers broke ground on the renovation on June 6, 2011 finished two months later.
The lighted field serves as a practice and competition site for the women's intercollegiate lacrosse program as well as a practice and training facility for various club sport and intercollegiate sport programs. It is also utilized extensively for outdoor campus recreation and intramural programs.
Joseph L. Alioto Recreation Center
The Joseph L. Alioto Recreation Center opened Spring 2015. The $23.5 million center includes a pool, climbing wall, three indoor courts for basketball, soccer and volleyball, a fitness center, and rooms for yoga, dance and spinning classes. From providing more than 100 on-campus student jobs to a myriad of ways to exercise and gather, the Center has something for everyone.