Early Career Award
The purpose of the Saint Mary’s College Early Career Scholar and Service Award is to recognize tenure-track faculty at an early point in their career at Saint Mary’s College who have excelled in the areas of scholarship or creative activity and demonstrated exemplary service to the College.
The individual’s scholarly success is evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, other scholarly and creative activities, and/or securing external funds for their research. The distinguished service is evidenced by diligent efforts on College committees and various organizations that provide benefits to students and faculty.
To be eligible for the Early Career Scholarship and Service Award, an individual must:
- Have completed two full years at Saint Mary’s College as a full-time faculty member;
- Be pre-tenure faculty;
- Have completed not more than six full years in a full-time faculty appointment at SMC or another academic institution;
- Not have received this award previously.
- Nominations for this award may come from the faculty, Chairs, and/or Deans. Self-nominations are also allowed.
- A nomination submission describing how the nominee meets the selection criteria and an update C.V.
Wednesday, February 15, 2024 by 11:59pm.
The Director of Faculty Development and the Committee on Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship constitute the selection committee based on the criteria listed below. The award recipient will be announced at the Scholar’s Reception in March.
We encourage nomination letters to include information that will help us contextualize the significance of the candidate’s achievements in each of these areas.
- Publications in competitive peer-reviewed research journals, exhibits or performances in respected arts venues, and/or authorship of highly respected scholarly books. This scholarship can include the scholarship of teaching and learning, and engaged pedagogy work; and/or
- Extraordinary externally peer-reviewed funded grant activity and fellowships and demonstrated ways in which such awards contribute to the improvement of the research capability and recognition of Saint Mary’s College.
- Diligent service efforts on behalf of a program/department or on College committees that are elected or appointed, which yield improvements in College programs; and/ or
- Exemplary service in support of organizations including supporting student initiatives and student clubs, College outreach efforts, and/or similar organizations that integrate College efforts to improve the local community and region.
Form of Award
Each award recipient will receive a certificate and monetary award to be used at the recipient’s discretion. A permanent plaque listing annual award recipients will be on display in the Academic Affairs Library. If there are no suitable candidates in a given year, the award will be withheld.
The submission deadline has passed.
2022 Jim Pesavento, Biology & Alicia Rusoja, Justice, Community and Leadership
2021 Anna Corwin, Anthropology
2020 Manisha Anantharaman, Justice Community and Leadership
2019 Michael J. Viola, Justice Community and Leadership
2018 Caitlin Powell, Psychology
2017 Aeleah Soine, History
2016 Raina Leon, Single Subject
2015 Makiko Imamura, Communication
2014 Monica Fitzgerald, Justice Community and Leadership
2013 Keith Garrison, Biology
2012 Jia Wu, Performing Arts
2011 Jyoti Bachani, Business