Emergencies involving electricity require special care. If you're not careful you could be a victim too. Because the human body is a good conductor of electricity, a person who has received an electrical shock might still have current flowing through their body. Before attempting to treat an electrical burn remember:
- Don't touch a victim who is in contact with live current.
- Shut off electricity at its source. Call Public Safety to cut off main power for your area.
If you must remove a person from a live current:
Stand on something dry and use a stick or board to separate the victim from the source of electricity. Don't use anything metal or that is wet.
Once the victim is free from electrical source:
- Call for emergency medical care immediately
- Ensure the victim has an airway and is breathing and treat for shock until emergency medical care arrives.