Undergraduate Grants

Undergraduate Grants Undergraduate Grants

Depending on your financial need, both Cal Grant and Pell Grant programs could be options for you.

Cal Grant

In the academic year the state government grants up to $9,358 annually for California students who qualify on the basis of financial need and academic achievement (generally a grade point average of 3.0 and above for Cal Grant A,  a grade point average of 2.0 and above for Cal Grant B). This grant is awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and eligibility is determined each year based on income and assets.

Your Cal Grant B award includes a $1,648 access allowance. Your 'access allowance' will be automatically applied to your billing account at the Business Office. You have the option to have your access allowance refunded to you and not applied to your billing account. To do this, contact the Financial Aid Office to request the Cal Grant B Payment Authorization form.

Cal Grants replace Saint Mary's Need-Based Scholarship. All California residents must apply for a Cal Grant. The College will not replace funds for students who are eligible and do not apply or fail to properly complete the Cal Grant application process.

For more information on the status of your Cal Grant please visit https://webgrants.csac.ca.gov/

Potential Cal Grant Fraud

There have been reports by students that they have been contacted by individuals claiming to be from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) who tell the student that they must pay money to receive, or reserve, their Cal Grant award. This is not true.

CSAC and it's staff will never ask for money or credit card information in order for a student to receive his or her Cal Grant award. A Cal Grant is free money, and students are never charged when applying by using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application.

Disregard these calls (or e-mails) and alert authorities immediately if contacted. If you believe you have been a target or a victim of financial aid fraud, please contact the Commission at 888.224.7268. Visit the Commission’s official website, www.csac.ca.gov, for additional information.  

You may also wish to file a report with your police department and/or the Federal Trade Commission: https://www.ftc.gov/

Federal Pell Grant

In the academic year the federal government grants up to  $6,895 (based on full-time enrollment) to very high need families who qualify based on a federally established formula.

Additional grants for high need families who also qualify for Pell Grants include Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (amounts vary based on a federally established formula and college budgeted allocations).