Marriage & Family Therapy / Professional Clinical Counselor (MFT/PCC)

Marriage & Family Therapy / Professional Clinical Counselor (MFT/PCC)

Today’s families face many stresses and challenges inside and outside the home. An MA in Counseling, with a specialization in Marriage & Family Therapy/Professional Clinical Counselor, gives you the skills, knowledge, and training to help make a positive difference in the lives of couples, parents and children.

This degree specialization provides the educational requirements necessary to pursue an MFT and/or PCC internship upon graduation. After completing the required clinical experience, you can apply for California's Board of Behavioral Science MFT and/or PCC license exams.



What courses will you take?

The 40 units of core courses, plus 28 units (below), for a minimum of 68 units:

  • COUN 245: Psychopathology (3 units)
  • COUN 247: Theory and Practice of Counseling Couples (2 units)
  • COUN 250: Family Systems, Theories and Applications (3 units)
  • COUN 251: Treatment of Children (3 units)
  • COUN 252: Advanced Clinical Practice (3 units)
  • COUN 255: Community Mental Health and Trauma Interventions (3 units)
  • COUN 308: Addictions, Co-Occurring Disorders, and Recovery-Oriented Treatment (1 unit)
  • COUN 566: Counseling Older Adults and Their Families (1 unit)
  • COUN 314: Psychopharmacology for MFT/PCC (3 units)
  • COUN 530: Counseling Field Experience (1-3 units each term; 6 units total): Students are engaged in fieldwork in clinical, school or college settings appropriate to department specialization(s) and career objectives. Weekly seminars held for specific specializations. Supervision provided by Counseling Department campus supervisors and department-approved field supervisors.


Cohort plans of study