Justice, Community and Leadership Minor: Single Subject 4+1
Turn your passion into your vocation.
The Justice, Community and Leadership: Single Subject 4+1 will prepare you to become an expert teacher in your chosen subject. That means you can earn your B.A. and complete your SSTE credential at the end of your 5th year.
Guided by our approachable faculty, you’ll learn how to effectively and engagingly communicate your area of expertise to students. All of this takes place in small class sizes, a hallmark of the liberal arts education.
Learn More About Our Program
Get to know our well-respected faculty and their specialties. Or explore scholarship opportunities.
Upon successfully completing the JCL Program, students will be able to...
1. [Knowledge] Demonstrate knowledge of the ways systemic inequities (e.g. economic, racial, gender, environmental) are reproduced and interconnected historically and in our contemporary world.
2. [Research] Using appropriate library and information literacy skills, evaluate and apply research methodologies in ways that challenge dominant assumptions about knowledge production to articulate, interpret and contribute to social justice.
3. [Community Application] Collaborate with diverse community formations to imagine, co-construct, organize for and sustain strategies that contribute to a more just social order.
4. [Communication] Utilize oral, written, artistic, expressive and new media formats to advocate for transformative social change with attention to audience and power relations.
5. [Reflection] Demonstrate cultural humility and an understanding of one’s positionality within historical and intersecting systems of power.
6. [Analysis] Utilize critical transdisciplinary lenses to analyze unjust power relations and systemic oppression, centering the experiences, histories, and visions of oppressed communities.