SMC Library Mission and Vision
Through a robust review and planning process (Theory of Change), the library has revisited and revised the mission and vision that guide our daily processes and strategic planning.
Our Compelling Purpose
The library recognizes societal constraints and structural inequalities that limit intellectual freedom, curiosity, and access. As an organization, we are committed to disrupting those systems and fostering academic excellence in a diverse environment ensuring student success, research innovation, and social justice.
Our Values and Guiding Principles
- Continually Learning
Our Organizational Strategies
- Cultivate an environment of learning, connection, and discovery at the heart of the library.
- Expand and deepen partnership activities with key stakeholders to advance equity, democracy, and information power.
- Curate collections to reflect multiple academic needs, modalities of learning, and presentations of wisdom and knowledge.
- Build facilities that meet the current and future uses of students, faculty, and staff.
- Strengthen internal capacity to be a developmental and equity-minded organization.
Visions of Success
- The library is a vibrant and accessible space for community gathering and individual and group learning.
- The SMC community exhibits proficiency in research and weighing/evaluating evidence that makes for more robust complex conversations, especially those about justice and equity.
- The Library resources and collection development practices express the values and needs of the SMC community.
- The Library and its services are equipped with sustainable and versatile infrastructure and technology.
- The library staff, together and by association, collaborate to manifest equity-minded practices within the organization.