Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can more than one person nominate the same individual?
- Is there a recommended length for the nomination form?
- What if I’m having trouble using the online form?
- When can I submit a nomination?
- Can I nominate myself? Can I nominate a family member?
- Who can submit a nomination?
- Who is eligible to receive a Staff Distinction Award and what does "good standing mean?
- Do I have to choose a category for my nomination?
- Does my nominee need to meet every element described in the category?
- Can I nominate more than one person for an award?
- When will the award decisions be made?
- How are award recipients selected?
- Who is on the selection committee?
- How will I know if my nominee has been selected?
- What do the award recipients receive?
- How will this award be paid?
- Will there be an awards ceremony? Who is invited?
Yes, more than one person can submit a nomination for the same individual, but each nominator must submit their own nomination form. Separate nominators may provide a different perspective on the nominee's work (i.e., a supervisor and a co-worker).
Nominations that answer the nomination questions thoroughly will have around 1½ to 2 pages of text—at least a paragraph or so per question—to describe how the nominee has met many of the criteria for the award category for which they’re being nominated.
If you have trouble accessing or submitting the form, please contact Human Resources.
The nomination period will typically open in the late Fall or early spring semester and close after a 6 week period.
No, individuals may not nominate themselves for an award. In addition, it’s not appropriate to nominate a family member, spouse, or partner. However, you may suggest that a colleague or team member write a nomination instead.
SMC staff, faculty, and Brothers can nominate potential award recipients.
Nominations can occur in multiple ways:
- Peer-to-peer, supervisor-to-staff, and staff-to-supervisor
- People can be nominated by someone who works within their department and/or by someone who’s outside their department or functional area.
These awards are intended to acknowledge outstanding efforts and contribution of full-time and part-time staff.
Other eligibility requirements include the following:
- Nominees must have at least one year of employment in a non-temporary staff position, prior to the opening of the nomination period.
- Nominees must be in “good standing.” (i.e., no recent disciplinary action; no overall rating of “Needs Improvement” or “Unsatisfactory” on the annual staff performance review).
- A staff member is eligible to receive only one award in a three-year period (across all award categories). After three years, he/she will once again be eligible to receive an award.
- Staff Council members will not be eligible for Staff Distinction Awards during the full length of their service on the Staff Council.
Yes, you must select only one award category on the nomination form. The form will not accept more than one category. Although the person you nominate may have made excellent contributions in multiple areas, select the category you feel is the best fit or for which you can write the strongest nomination.
No, but this person should meet most of the award category criteria.
Yes, you can nominate more than one person for the Staff Distinction Awards. However, you need to identify the award category for each nominee and submit separate nomination forms.
The selection committee will meet and make final decisions in the January-February timeframe. Notifications are sent to all nominators by or before the end of February.
12) How are award recipients selected?
The committee will review all the nominations by category and score them using an evaluation rubric based on how well they demonstrate the specific award criteria. It is very helpful to the committee if the nominator responds completely and clearly to the questions in each section of the nomination form.
Every fiscal year, five members of the Staff Council will serve on the selection committee. To the extent possible, at least one member who was on the selection committee the prior year will be invited to serve again. This helps ensure experience and continuity with the selection committee process.
All nominators will be informed of the results by email once the committee has reviewed all nominations.
Annually, each of the five (5) Staff Distinction Award recipients receives $3,000 (taxable award).
The award amount ($3,000) will be included in the awardee's pay check following the awards ceremony. Applicable taxes will be deducted.
There will be an annual awards ceremony in the spring of each year. Specific dates will be determined on an annual basis. Announcements will go out well in advance of the award ceremony date.
All members of the SMC community are invited to the ceremony. Award recipients may invite family and friends as well.