There are two types of refunds; tuition refunds resulting from SMC's withdrawal policy and credit balance refunds from student loans or overpayments. The disbursement of refunds can come by direct deposit (called eReimbursement) or by paper check.

Withdrawal from College

Refunds of tuition must be in writing, by the withdrawing student, and are made each term to undergraduate students and graduate/professional students on a semester calendar according to the following schedule: 85% tuition refund to the end of the first week of class; 80% tuition refund to the end of the second week of class; 75% tuition refund to the end of the third and fourth week of class. There is NO REFUND after the fourth week of the term. Any room/board refund is issued based on the terms and conditions of the Residence Hall and Dining Services License.

LEAP students, graduate students on a quarter calendar, and graduate/professional students on a trimester calender are subject to a different refund policy. Students are encouraged to consult with their Program Directors or contact the Business Office for details regarding any tuition refund resulting from withdrawal.  Students receiving Federal Title IV aid will be subject to an earned aid calculation if their financial aid has posted to their student account prior to their withdrawal from the College. ANY REFUND RESULTING FROM FINANCIAL AID ISSUED TO A STUDENT WHO HAS WITHDRAWN OR DROPPED MUST BE RETURNED TO THE COLLEGE IMMEDIATELY.

Please Note: Voluntary tuition insurance is available for any student who withdraws during the semester for health issues. The tuition insurance must be purchased prior to the start of the term through GradGuard. Please call (877) 794-6603 or go to for more information about coverage and premiums.


Refund of Overpayment

Refunds will only be issued on credit balances and only after allowable charges (including monthly installments on payment plans) have been paid. Refunds of overpayments may be requested in person or in writing to the Business Office. If the refund is a result of a personal payment, assurance that the personal payment has cleared must be received before any refund will be issued.  If the overpayment is from a company or third party payment, the refund will be payable to the originating source of payment.

Once the academic term begins, refunds will be available on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Refunds will NOT be processed prior to the beginning of the term and will NOT be processed for any pending aid. Students have the option to pick up their refund, have it directly deposited to their bank account, or have it mailed to the address on file. ***During the first two weeks of each semester, refunds are held for pick up in the Business Office unless direct deposit/eReimbursement is set up. Any check not picked up within the first two weeks of each semester will automatically be mailed to the address on file.***  Identification is required when picking up refund checks. All students must provide proof of identification, i.e. valid school id card or valid driver's license, before the refund will be released.

Loan refunds are mandated, by law. Loan refunds will be made, automatically, after crediting financial aid funds students have accepted against initial charges to the student's billing account including, but not limited to, tuition, mandatory fees, room and board, course material fees, etc. and the remaining balance (if any) will thereafter be refunded to the student. The credit balance refunded after deduction of the initial charges on a student's billing account may not reflect additional and subsequent charges and fees that may be incurred AFTER receiving a refund of the net balance. The refund of the remaining credit balance is not intended as a final accounting of all charges incurred and any additional charges not deducted from the financial aid funds and not reflected in the balance refunded must be timely paid. Refunds will not be processed until all current allowable charges and TMS budgets are paid, in full.

If a credit on the student account is due to a Federal Parent PLUS loan disbursement, the refund will be payable to the parent borrower.

*** If the student is no longer eligible to receive financial aid or student loans, his/her account will be adjusted accordingly. Any refund received for these funds must be reimbursed to Saint Mary's College IMMEDIATELY.

Please Note: Refund checks should be cashed promptly. Checks over 180 days (6 months) are considered stale and may be voided. Please check with the Business Office, Student Accounts, before attempting to deposit or cash any refund older than 180 days. Students who are Federal Title IV recipients are subject to Federal law which requires the College to return stale refund checks to the Federal program which generated the refund. Once these funds are returned (usually to loan programs) the College cannot request their return.

Possible reasons for not receiving your refund are:

  • Refunds will not be processed until the term begins. No refunds will be released prior to the start of your term/semester.
  • A refund cannot be processed until there is a credit balance on your account.
  • There is a two-week holding period for credits that result from an overpayment from a check or eCheck of any kind.
  • Refunds are not issued for students with monthly payment plans (TMS or graduate/professional plans) until the plan is paid in full.
  • Credits resulting from Federal Parent Plus Loans are issued to the parent borrower who took out the loan unless the parent has authorized the refund to go to the student.
  • A refund cannot be processed if you set up eReimbursement but the bank numbers are invalid.

Electronic Refunds or eReimbursement

E-reimbursement is the most efficient and expeditious way to process a refund. Your funds will electronically be deposited to the bank account of your choice. To sign up, log on to your GaelXpress account and under "Bill Payment and Refunds" click on "MY BANK ACCT - eREIMBURSEMENT". Complete the form with your bank account information, agree to the Terms & Conditions, then click Submit. If your overpayment results from anything other than student loans, you must make a specific refund request at the Business Office. A refund into your account does not remove any financial obligation to make payment, in full, should an adjustment result in a balance due. If a balance occurs after the refund is deposited to your bank account, it must be paid IMMEDIATELY.

Please Note: Appropriate ABA transit numbers DO NOT appear on deposit slips. Please enter the bank information on the bottom of the check. Electronic reimbursement is NOT available for Federal Parent Plus loans.

Federal Funds Authorizaton Form

Federal law requires all federally allowable charges (tuition, fees, room and board) to be covered by Federal Title IV funds. Saint Mary's College allows many departments to assess charges to the student accounts in order to consolidate billing - these are considered "non-allowable" charges. Non-allowable charges might include late fees, traffic fines, library fines, and other miscellaneous fees. Students have the option to decline this authorization and be billed separately for the non-allowable charges. To do this, contact the Business Office to request the Federal Funds Authorization form at (925) 631-4209 or email


Third party or Special Billing

Special Billing is available to students whose employers or other outside agencies pay their tuition, fees, and expenses directly to Saint Mary's College regardless of the earned grade. Students whose company or agency reimburses them directly or require a certain grade for reimbursement are NOT eligible for Special Billing.

Refunds of third party or special billing will be issued AFTER the funds have been received by Saint Mary's College. No refunds will be advanced to students until the funds are received by Saint Mary's College, applied to the student account, and a credit balance, if any, occurs. Written permission by the third party may be required.