- How can a M.S. in Finance degree advance my financial career?
- Do I need work experience in finance to enter the M.S.-FAIM program?
- Can the M.S. in Finance degree help prepare me for the Level I, II, and III CFA Exams?
- How can the M.S. Finance Program accommodate my busy lifestyle?
- How big are M.S. in Finance classes?
- When do M.S. in Finance classes start?
- Can I enroll in the MBA Program as well?
How can a M.S. in Finance degree advance my financial career?
The Master of Science in Finance degree, which teaches the concepts and quantitative skills in the CFA Curriculum, prepares you to excel in financial analysis and portfolio management roles at banks, fund management firms, insurance companies, investment banking firms, brokerage houses, financial advisors, and other institutions. The program instills a deep understanding of economics, quantitative methods, financial statement analysis, corporate strategy, mergers and acquisitions, equity valuation, fixed income instruments, derivatives, portfolio management, risk management, ethics, and compliance. In addition to building a comprehensive understanding of finance topics, you can start building your network right in the classroom by working with other students to help you study and also to find job openings with the help of students and instructors. [back to top]
Do I need work experience in finance to enter the M.S. in Finance Program?
The M.S. in Finance Program has students who already work in finance and others that want to start careers in finance. The M.S. in Finance Program does not require prior experience in finance positions although it may make studies somewhat easier for students who are already familiar with some of the topics. [back to top]
Can the M.S. in Finance graduate degree help prepare me for the Level I, II, and III CFA Exams?
Yes, the M.S. in Finance curriculum mirrors the knowledge in the CFA Candidate Body of Knowledge or ‘CBOK’. This degree comprises 11 courses which focus on the concepts and quantitative techniques used in financial analysis and portfolio management that are required study for all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) exams. The M.S. in Finance degree gives graduates the knowledge to complete all three CFA exams in 18 months after graduation although many take more time based on personal schedules, requirements of new employment, and career plans. [back to top]
How big are M.S. in Finance classes?
The M.S. in Finance Program is designed so that every group or cohort stays together, progressing at the same pace through the program, with cohorts usually ranging in size from 15 to 25 students to allow plenty of personal attention. The cohort structure improves the learning experience and helps you develop study groups, professional connections, and friendships. [back to top]
When do M.S. in Finance classes start?
New M.S. in Finance cohorts start once a year, beginning in July. [back to top]
Can I enroll in the MBA Program as well?
Yes – several of the core courses in the M.S. in Finance program such as Accounting, Economics, and some Finance courses are also offered in Saint Mary’s MBA programs so some M.S. in Finance coursework will count toward a Saint Mary's MBA with a concentration in Finance. This allows students to complete the M.S. in Finance degree and the MBA degree concurrently or back-to-back, with concurrent completion times possible (but not easy!) in 15 months. [back to top]
Why get a MS in Finance Degree?
The benefits of Saint Mary’s Master of Science in Finance Program coupled with the opportunity to complete your CFA include: global recognition, practical skills, career advancement, and community.
Convenient Location and Schedule:
- 15-month M.S. in Finance program
- Starts in July
- Attend class every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 6pm-8pm via Zoom and every other Saturday on campus.
- Our curriculum focuses on the quantitative techniques used in financial analysis, including those required for all three levels of the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) exams.
- If you want to continue your education, your M.S. in Finance coursework will count toward a Saint Mary's MBA with a Finance concentration. This accelerated program allows you to earn an MBA by completing the eleven additional courses.
- Our faculty includes some of the brightest minds in business today, including Saint Mary’s professors and outstanding professionals from the Bay Area’s investment community. Our small class size allows faculty members to be responsive and accessible between classes by phone or email.
- Exposure to guest speakers to provide their insight into current issues facing the financial industry
- Enter the program, complete classes, and graduate with a group of approximately 15 working professionals with varied industry experience providing you with a valuable network of business connections and friendships.