Undergraduate Opening Bill FAQ's

Traditional Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions

***Frequently Asked Questions for Fall 2021***


How/where can I get my bill?

Saint Mary’s College bills exclusively online. You will receive an email on your SMC email account every time a bill is available for viewing. Please view the bill by logging into GaelXpress and clicking on the “Student Account Center”. The Student Account Center acts as a one-stop-shop for all of your billing and payment needs.  Once you are on GaelXpress and click on “Student Account Center,” please then click on the View Statements (“Your latest eBill Statement”).  Please note: Your online statement is not a real-time accounting of your bill. Any corrections, adjustments, and/or payments made after the Statement Date will not change the bill. To see any changes and to view real-time account activity, click on “View Activity”.


What if my parents pay my bill? How can they log in to view and pay my bill?

            Students must set up Authorized User profiles for parents, grandparents, spouses, or anyone else they wish to have access to view their bills and make payments online. Please set up Authorized Users by going to GaelXpress, clicking on “Student Account Center”, on the right of the screen (under My Profile Setup) click “Authorized Users.”  Authorized users will receive two emails. One of the emails will have a computer-generated password to be used at initial log in. The system will prompt you to change the password.

Every time an eBill is ready for viewing, an email will be sent to the authorized users email address.  Your Authorized User will be able to view the bill, make payments, check account activity, and set up a payment plan at https://secure.touchnet.net:443/C21320_tsa/web


When is my balance due?

           Your balance, after any pending/estimated financial aid (scholarships, loans, etc.) is DUE BY AUGUST 15, 2021.


How can I make a payment?

Students may make eCheck payments online using GaelXpress and clicking on Student Account Center.  Parents and Authorized Payers may make eCheck payments online at https://secure.touchnet.net:443/C21320_tsa/web   

Check payments may be mailed to:

Saint Mary’s College Business Office

1928 St. Mary’s Road PMB 4600

Moraga, CA 94575

Please be sure to include the student’s I.D. number on the check.

*** Saint Mary’s College does not accept credit card payments for tuition and fees, including room and board ***


Cash and checks are accepted at the Student Accounts window in the Business Office on the first floor of Filippi Hall.

You may have enrolled in the 5-Month Payment Plan and may have already started making monthly payments. If you haven’t joined but would like to, the 4-Month Payment Plan is available by clicking on “Enroll in Payment Plan”. The deadline to enroll is July 31, 2021. The 4-month payment plan will have installments running from July 15-October 15.  This plan is voluntary. Only one plan is permitted each semester.


What if my balance is not paid by AUGUST 15TH?

If the balance, after any pending financial aid, is not paid by Sunday, August 15th, you will be charged a $150 late payment fee and will be subject to having your Fall classes dropped. Fall term classes start on August 30, 2021.


Where is my Financial Aid? Some or all of my aid is not showing on my statement.

            ***Traditional Undergraduate students MUST register for a minimum 3.50 credits each semester for full aid***

Please review your current financial aid award letter on GaelXpress.  Should you have questions regarding your award, please call the Financial Aid Office for assistance at (925) 631-4370 or go to https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/financial-aid/undergraduate/faqs If you have an outside scholarship on your award letter you will NOT see it on your bill. Please subtract the amount of the scholarship from the owing balance and send payment along with verification of your scholarship.  Federal work study will NOT be reflected as pending aid.

Please Note: Pending Federal Direct Loans and Federal Direct PLUS Loans are reflected as gross amounts. Please add the appropriate loan fee to the balance due. Origination fees for loans disbursed after 10/1/2020 are 1.057% and 4.228% for Direct Parent PLUS Loans.  The origination fees on or after 10/1/2021 have not been announced yet.  Please consult with the Financial Aid Office for updated information.

Why do I have a $175 late registration fee on my bill?

            All continuing students were required to register for the fall term on or prior to June 30, 2021. Students who did not register by that date will be charged a $175 late registration fee.


I am a new student and I did not attend the New Student Orientation. Can I be refunded?

            No, all new undergraduate students are charged a one time, non-refundable $300 New Student Fee, which is applied directly to their student account. The fee covers all costs associated with orientation including materials, staffing, and all new student resources. Refunds are not granted for students who choose not to attend the orientation sessions as the orientation is a fundamental aspect of Saint Mary's College. All deposits and fees at Saint Mary’s College are non-refundable.


I am a new student and I did not receive my student identification card. How do I get one?

Please upload your photo to www.stmarys-ca.edu/tuition-fees/student-identification-card. Your photo should be a head shot only. Please no hats, hoods, masks, sunglasses or anything that will interfere with your picture. Photos should have been sent by July 1, 2021 in order to receive your ID card on schedule.


Why am I being charged for medical insurance? I have my own.

               To ensure that all students have health insurance coverage, including basic sickness and accident insurance, the College has a mandatory health insurance requirement. All full-time undergraduate students are required to have health insurance coverage. This means students are automatically enrolled and billed for the College’s provided plan through Anthem Blue Cross. If you have comparable coverage of your own, you must actively file a waiver every year by going to www.jcbins.com. Create an account with your email account, SMC 7-digit id number, and date of birth.

Once you have completed the waiver, Saint Mary's College will credit your account for the premium.  If you believe you have submitted a waiver and are still being charged, please call (925) 377-6225 or email StudentServices@jcbins.com. The waiver must be completed on or before AUGUST 1, 2021. 

***PLEASE NOTE: The waiver opportunity will shut down on August 1, 2021.  If you have NOT completed the waiver by August 1st, you will be insured for the full academic year with no other chance to waive. The cost of the annual medical insurance policy is $3,668 ($1,834 each term).  The entire amount of $3,668 will be billed to your student account. A charge of $1,834 will be on your fall bill and a charge of $1,834 will be on your spring bill. Attention: International students and U.S. citizens whose primary residence is abroad will NOT be able to waive the school insurance.  Mandatory enrollment is required if your permanent address is abroad.


What is the charge for an “additional course fee”?

Each full-time undergraduate student is entitled to take 4.25 courses per semester for paying full-time tuition.  The 4.25-1.25-4.25 course load (Fall-Jan-Spring) is the typical and recommended undergraduate schedule. Overload courses may be billed as an additional course fee at $6,422/course if over 4.25 in each long semester or over 1.25 for Jan Term.  All .50 course credits ARE billable and quarter credit courses are billable over the initial course band of 4.25-1.25-4.25. Please Note: Billable courses include courses taken *and* withdrawn from AFTER the add/drop period,

Please Note: Bills will be adjusted as needed for Expanded Studies students after the add/drop period for the term in which they exceed the cap.


I do not see my meal plan charge. Where can I find this?

Students who are residing in campus housing have their meal plans bundled in with their room charge UNLESS living in a Towhouse stye room.  Students residing in townhouses and commuter students have the option of purchasing a meal plan for $2,400 per semester.  Please contact the Campus Housing Office to request a meal plan or for questions regarding meal options.


If I make changes to my courses, or housing, prior to the start of the term, will I get a revised statement?

You will NOT receive a revised statement until after the August 15th due date. In order to ensure that we do not penalize you for additional amounts incurred after the initial statement, we will freeze your account until that time.  You may view real-time account activity by accessing your GaelXpress account and clicking on “Student Account Center” then “View Activity.” Please remember that any pending or estimated aid will NOT disburse until the semester begins.


What if I have to withdraw from school?

SMC will refund you 85% of tuition for withdrawals at the end of the first week of the term, 80% at the end of the second week, and 75% at the end of the third and fourth week.  After the fourth week of the term, there will be NO refunds. Any refund from housing or meal plans will be made according to the Residence Hall and Dining Services License. Tuition insurance is available from GradGuard for medical withdrawals. Purchasing tuition insurance is optional (the deadline to purchase tuition insurance is one day prior to the beginning of the term). Please visit GradGuard.com/Tuition/stmarys-ca or call (877) 794-6603.


Who should I call with questions about my bill?

Billing:                                              Business Office                    (925) 631-4209

Housing:                                          Campus Housing                  (925) 631-4241

Financial Aid:                                   Financial Aid Office              (925) 631-4370

                     Health Insurance Help Line:            JCB Insurance Solutions      (925) 377-6225

                    Course Fees:                                    Registrar's Office                  (925) 631-4214