Visa Renewal

Visa Renewal

Important Reminder

If your F-1 visa has expired, but you have a valid I-20, you can stay in the U.S. until the end of your academic program.  If you travel internationally with an expired F-1 visa, you will need to apply for another visa before returning to the U.S. to resume studying.

How to Apply for a New F-1 Visa

To apply for another F-1 visa, you will need to submit a new application and attend a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.  It is not possible to renew your F-1 visa while in the U.S.  You can complete the visa application and schedule an appointment while in the U.S., but you must go abroad for the interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

  • Complete the DS-160 visa application and pay the application fee ($185 USD)
  • Schedule an appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad
  • Attend the visa interview and submit the required documents

Required Documents

  • Valid passport with 2-3 blank pages
  • Valid I-20
  • DS-160 confirmation page
  • SEVIS fee receipt
    • You do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again, you only need proof that it has been paid
    • Reprint your SEVIS fee receipt if necessary
  • Unofficial transcripts
  • Letter of enrollment
    • You can request this from the Registrar's Office
  • Financial documents
    • Academic and/or athletic scholarship information, personal or sponsor bank statements, educational loan information, etc.
    • There is no minimum amount required, however having proof of financial ability is important to the visa application process

Applying for a New Visa While on OPT

Applying for a new visa while on OPT is no different than the steps listed above, however you will need to bring some additional documentation to the interview:

  • Valid EAD card or I-797 Approval Notice or I-797C Notice of Action
  • Job offer letter or contract, if available