SMC’s EdTech Instructional Design team members support faculty in applying high quality courses with the purpose to refine the educational technology setting and encourage student learning. Our team’s mission is to empower the SMC’s Lasallian community to use essential technologies and course design with continuous improvement for pedagogies that foster collaboration with faculty for student-centered engagement.
We do this by:
- Supporting faculty in designing high quality online/face-to-face courses (according to the Quality Matters rubric here) with the intent to enhance the learning environment and promote student learning.
- Offering customized, one-on-one development consultation that enables faculty to envision the surroundings of course learning and teaching design, and the use of technology to present vital and engaging learning opportunities for student success.
- Training and service on measuring quality in the following focus areas:
- Course alignment between the syllabus and LMS
- Course design with Quality Matters (QM) Higher Ed. standards and pedagogy.
What is Instructional Design?
Instructional Designers support faculty in creating high quality course design by applying evidence-based approaches, integrating active learning, and implementing educational technology effectively.
The instructional design team supports instructors’ use of educational technology in their course content as they design or redesign their courses to deliver quality learning environments and experiences for students.
SMC has dedicated instructional designers to assist with your instructional needs via one-on-one consultations. Whether you are designing a new course or looking to enhance an existing course, the team is here to support you with your course design needs.
The team provides ongoing professional development opportunities to learn about emerging technologies for teaching and instructional strategies to best engage students through workshops.
Submit a "Tech Consult" Service Desk request at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our Instructional Designers will reach out to you.
If you're a new or experienced online faculty, or teaching a new/existing course, we're here to assist you. The Instructional Designers from the EdTech team provides one-on-one and small group consultations, helping subject matter experts, on a wide array of online teaching and learning ideas.
Let's work together and design your next online / blended course, transition your face-to-face course to an online course, align your assessments with outcomes (based on the Quality Matters Rubric here), update activities/resources, analyze effectiveness and more. Let's chat!
SMC Course Development Resources
In the link below, this includes a folder of several documents that an Instructional Designer will explained during a Course Development Orientation Consult Meeting. Please keep a copy for your records to reference it.