International Students

Center for International Programs

The Center for International Programs provides resources and support to international and exchange students regarding their visa status to ensure compliance with federal regulations as well as provides active programming to welcome international students to Saint Mary's.


Getting an I-20 from Saint Mary's College

In order to apply for an F-1 student visa, you will need to first get a Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20.  The I-20 proves your financial ability to cover the cost of attendance for the first academic year of your program at Saint Mary's College.  You must have an I-20 in order to apply for the F-1 visa.

After you have been fully admitted to the College and you have paid your deposit, you will be able to upload all of the required documents for the I-20 to your applicant portal.

Required Documents for an I-20

  • Copy of current, valid passport
  • Completed Certificate of Finances
  • Financial documents
    • Bank statement or letter from the bank
    • Scholarship information, if applicable
    • Educational loan information, if applicable

How to Apply for a Student Visa

Applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa is not difficult, but it can take a few weeks or months to obtain the visa.  For this reason, it is recommended that you begin the visa application process as soon as possible to ensure that you have all the necessary documents to arrive in the U.S. before the beginning of your classes.

Visa Steps

International Transfer Students

If you're currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 visa at another instutition, you can transfer your SEVIS record to Saint Mary's.  Speak with the International Student Advisor or the International Student Office on your campus about transferring your SEVIS record.  You will need to complete the top half of Saint Mary's SEVIS Transfer Form and your current institution will complete the bottom half.  Return the completed SEVIS Transfer Form to the Center for International Programs, and we will issue you an I-20.

Certificate of Finances Forms

Undergraduate Programs 2020-2021

      All Undergraduate Programs

Graduate & Professional Programs 2020-2021



      Creative Writing


      Intercultural Communication




      Teacher Education

International Transfer Students

      SEVIS Transfer Form