New-Hire Paperwork (Student Employees)
Received a job offer? Before you can begin working, it is IMPERITIVE that you complete the Student Employment Packet.
International Students; Contact the Center for International Programs before completing paperwork. They will provide guidance in navigating the additional steps/requirements for students that are not US-residents or citizens.
Student Employment Packet
View the Payroll Forms - Student Employment Packet
This packet contains:
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility and Verification
- This form proves that you are eligible to work in the United States
- All employers are required to have valid Forms I-9 on-file for all employees
- Please ensure to have with you original, unexpired verification documents when submitting this form.
- See: Complete and Correct The Form I-9 and Form I-9 Instructions
- Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Tells Payroll how to withhold wages for federal income tax purposes
- (Nonresident aliens only) Notice 1392 Supplemental Instructions for Nonresident Aliens
- STUDENTS THAT ARE NOT US CITIZENS MUST READ THIS!
- Form DE 4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Tells Payroll how to withhold wages for state (CA) income tax purposes
- Direct Deposit of Payroll Funds Authorization Form
- You will need your
- bank's ABA routing number. This is the routing number for electronic transfers (ACH) not the routing number for wire transfers.
- bank account number. This is almost always NOT the number on your debit card.
- More info, see: Direct Deposit at SMC
- You will need your
A fictitious check that displays the location of the routing and account number.
Where do I submit these forms?
Please email completed forms to Human Resources here from your SMC email account:
An HR representative will confirm receipt of your paperwork and instruct you to go to Human Resources Office in-person to review verification documents as required by Form I-9. Human Resources is located on the Garden (lower) Level of Filippi Hall.
IMPORTANT: For your in-person visit, please ensure to have with you original, unexpired verification documents as required by Form I-9.
HR office drop-in hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00a - 3:00p
Once all your paperwork and the "New Hire Form" from your hiring supervisor have been received by Payroll, you will receive an email from a Payroll Staff member informing you that a timesheet has been created for you on GaelXpress.
While you wait, take the opportunity to review the following information:
- GaelXpress 2.0 Time Entry Instructions (Google Slides)
- Sick Leave Procedures & Information
- Bi-Weekly Payroll Schedule