New-Hire Paperwork (Student Employees)
Received a job offer? Before you can begin working, it is IMPERITIVE that you complete the Student Employment Packet.
International Students: Contact the Center for International Programs (CIP) Office before completing paperwork. They will provide guidance in navigating the additional steps/requirements for students that are not US-residents or citizens. If you do not have a US Social Security Number, the application is an essential step before beginning any work. The CIP Office can assist you with this process.
Student Employment Packet
(must be logged in with SMC account to access)
This packet contains:
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility and Verification
- This form proves that you are eligible to work in the United States
- All employers are required to have valid Forms I-9 on-file for all employees
- Please ensure to have with you original, unexpired verification documents when submitting this form.
- See: Complete and Correct The Form I-9 and Form I-9 Instructions
- Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Tells Payroll how to withhold wages for federal income tax purposes
- (Nonresident aliens only) Notice 1392 Supplemental Instructions for Nonresident Aliens
- STUDENTS THAT ARE NOT US CITIZENS MUST READ THIS!
- Form DE 4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
- Tells Payroll how to withhold wages for state (CA) income tax purposes
- Direct Deposit of Payroll Funds Authorization Form
- You will need your
- bank's ABA routing number. This is the routing number for electronic transfers (ACH) not the routing number for wire transfers.
- bank account number. This is almost always NOT the number on your debit card.
- More info, see: Direct Deposit at SMC
- You will need your
A fictitious check that displays the location of the routing and account number.
Where do I submit these forms?
Please email completed forms to Human Resources here from your SMC email account:
An HR representative will confirm receipt of your paperwork and instruct you to go to Human Resources Office in-person to review verification documents as required by Form I-9. Human Resources is located on the Garden (lower) Level of Filippi Hall.
IMPORTANT: For your in-person visit, please ensure to have with you original, unexpired verification documents as required by Form I-9.
HR office drop-in hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00a - 3:00p
Once all your paperwork and the "New Hire Form" from your hiring supervisor have been received by Payroll, you will receive an email from a Payroll Staff member informing you that a timesheet has been created for you on GaelXpress.
While you wait, take the opportunity to review the following information:
- GaelXpress 2.0 Time Entry Instructions (Google Slides)
- Sick Leave Procedures & Information
- Bi-Weekly Payroll Schedule